Does the jaw ever really heal from TMD?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Meloho

Does the jaw ever really heal from TMD?

#1 Post by Meloho »

First off, for anyone wanting a more detailed version of my TMD history, click the link in my signature.

Ok, I'd had TMD for years and I've been in ortho treatment for over 4 years. My upper arch has been widened, my lower jaw brought forward, and my lower molars erupted, all with various bite plates and whatnot. Now I've finally moved on to the next stage, where I'm not to wear any bite plate and my lower front teeth will erupt on their own. I'm due to be fully bracketed (my lower fronts) in two weeks.

When I was still wearing my last bite plate and the elastics to erupt my molars, my jaw was feeling pretty good. Now that I'm not wearing them, it feels pretty weak and the joints ache again plus it feels strange to eat. Does anyone think this will go away or get better, or do I have to take the ortho on his offer to build up the bottom bite plate to erupt my molars even more?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

mottsrods

#2 Post by mottsrods »

Meloho,

I think this may be due to the sudden change. Bear with it, but if it continues, by all means, contact your ortho. To help with the pain and discomfort, use a hot compress. I myself take a large dish towel, and put it in a pot of boiling water. Let it cool enough for you to hold it in your hands, and then fold it to the shape of your jaw line. Myself, and I know iBorg are suffers and there is more, but my mind isn't thinking right now.

I hope this will help....Keep us posted.

Mott
Stick a fork In me.......I'm Done!

Meloho

#3 Post by Meloho »

Well, after going until 9pm last night without wearing my bite plate or elastics, my jaw felt like it was getting worse and worse, especially after eating dinner. So, to sleep, I put the bite plate and elastics back in and miraculously, my jaw doesn't hurt anymore. I'm thinking, as much as I don't like it, that the bite plate will have to be built higher to that the gap between my molars closes more, keep the jaw joint open. It'll take another couple months probably, but better than finishing treatment and STILL having a sore jaw.

mjbusch

#4 Post by mjbusch »

I am having the same problem. Last month I was told I didn't need to wear the elastics anymore. Well, my pain came back. So my last appointment bottom molar was built up and I have to start wearing elastics again, plus I got my lower braces on. I am still having some pain, but I am hoping it will pass.