Wisdom teeth nerve damage?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wonky mcsnaggletooth

Wisdom teeth nerve damage?

#1 Post by wonky mcsnaggletooth »

Hi all,
I had the wisdom teeth on my right side taken out last Friday, so over a week ago. The extraction sites are totally fine, no pain. I had very little actual jaw pain, I just took ibuprofen. HOWEVER, now my chin hurts! It's a burning, throbbing, unbearable pain on the right side of my chin, right where the bruising was. People are telling me that it is nerve damage. I can't tell if my chin is also numb, I think it may be a little numb, but massaging the area does nothing to either help or exacerbate the pain, it's just kind of there. I imagine kind of like phantom pain that an amputee experiences. I didn't think to ask the surgeon when she was taking out my stitches last week-I figured it was appropriate to still be in pain. But now the burning chin thing is just ridiculous.

Has anyone had the same kind of thing? And DOES IT GO AWAY?!