Removing fixed bite plate

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmbraceMe

Removing fixed bite plate

#1 Post by EmbraceMe »

I am soooo excited that tomorrow I will finally be free of this monstrosity known as the bite plate. However, I am petrified of how it comes off, and how much it is going to hurt.

Can anybody who has had theirs removed relay their experience to me.

They will also be putting new molar bands in tomorrow and hooking up the back molars.....not sure what this all means or what the new molar bands are for.......hmmm.

I can say that I can hardly wait to feel the roof of my mouth again, even if it is going to hurt!

Eric805

#2 Post by Eric805 »

I have a Bite plate right now but had it removed for some grinding at one point. The doc just broke the cement with some tool and pulled it off. Didn't hurt at all but it might sound like your teeth are breaking (the cement). But no worries.

How long was your bite plate sentence? Seriously can't wait to get mine off!

EmbraceMe

#3 Post by EmbraceMe »

Thank you for replying. I was scared because they attempted to remove it a while back to adjust it (was digging into my palette), and they were trying to just pull it down???? It felt like they were ripping my teeth out of my head. I told them they had to stop, that I would just live with it digging in. But my understanding was that if they are to remove it permanently that it is taken out differently as it doesn't matter if they ruin it. I am hoping that is true.

My sentence was for 7 months (got it in, I believe, last September). I must say that as blah as it has been, it sure did what it was supposed to. My back teeth have never ever touched, and now they do, and my bottom front teeth were SO MUCH higher than all of my molars, and now they are even..........so hang in there.......definitely worth it!

CosmicMan

#4 Post by CosmicMan »

Hello:

I have an overjet and overbite. Have been braced for 13 months now. All the gaps in the teeth have closed. I still have a significant overbite and jet though. However my doctor said since there is no space left for the fronth upper teeth to move back (maybe a 1 mm or 2mm at best). That will not resolve my overjet issue at all. The doc mentioned bite plate.
Now ... does the bite plate correct overjet when there is no space between the teeth at all? or Does it need extractions to create space to move the teeth back? Pls let me know. Im frustrated with the results as of now.

Eric805

#5 Post by Eric805 »

Embraceme, your back teeth never touched at all? I am just trying to guage how long I might have to have the bite myself. My back teeth would touch but when I bit down my top teeth would completely cover the bottoms. For me right now its hard to tell if I see a difference in the 2 months I have had the bite plate. Progress seems slow right now, but it might just be that I look in the mirror everyday.

I hate how I still can't pronounce S's. Did you ever get speaking correctly figured out? Best of luck with the rest of your treatment!

EmbraceMe

#6 Post by EmbraceMe »

Eric: No, my back teeth never touched my entire life, plus just as you mentioned with yours, my top teeth completely covered lower teeth. I could actually stick the entire top half of my thumb up there!

Not sure how long you would need it. But I can tell you that I knew it was getting close to the end when my back teeth (well, all my molars now) could touch with the bite plate in. As I am sure you noticed that your teeth don't touch so well with the bite plate in.....you will notice that that will change, which is the idea.

As for the lisp, and trouble enunciating certain words/sounds.....yes, it gets MUCH easier, but it took about 3/4 months, and even then at times I would have a problem, but I think only noticeable to me. However, let me tell you that now that it is out.........my lisp is BACK! They said that because I had to learn to speak a new way with it in, now that it is out, I have to relearn all over again.

So it did come out today, and let me tell you that I almost wanted them to put it back in! It was horrible........once it came out (which BTW was no picnic) however, the sensation of touching the roof of my mouth -- whether it was my tongue, or water, or the air they blow -- it about sent me over the edge! It is the worst heebie-jeebie feeling I have ever known. It literally gave me the shivers! The ortho said it is because it has been covered for so long without air/oxygen that it will take a while to adjust...........very icky feeling, but so glad it is gone.

They put in 2 more molar bands, plus they took out my springs and put in power chains........and to top it all off, when the assistant was trying to put in the wire, her hand slipped and she literally socked me in the mouth!

My mouth hurts.........buy I am BITE PLATE FREE!

Doc told me today we are right on track..........8 months down..........14 months to go! Woo hoo!

CosmicMan: I would talk to your ortho about your options. For me, they had to remove two of my premolars, and right now are pulling back my teeth with the use of powerchains. The bite plate is used to open up your bite, and to help correct a deep bite, so I would assume that would be an option for you. Do they not plan on removing any of your teeth to make room for correcting your bite? What was in your treatment plan? I would be asking many questions to find out what their goal is.

Eric805

#7 Post by Eric805 »

Looks like there are even more wonderful things to look forward to! :roll: Thanks for the response Embraced!

CosmicMan

#8 Post by CosmicMan »

EmbraceMe, right when I consulted my Ortho for the first time I asked about any extractions and she said they werent necessary... the treatment would include braces, powerchains and elastics (have all three now). However the last couple of visits since I got worried with the overjet not improving, she started metioning things like 'You would not be able to get a TEXT BOOK kind of teeth correction but a very good one'. The last visit she almost said she cannot correct the overjet and overbite anymore. She sensed my frustration and then mentioned the biteplate.

I think I will go with the bite plate even if its painful ... Ive lived with a not at all good looking set of teeth for very long. Need it corrected ... any cost.
Thanks Again !!!