MORE bands??? I don't want 'em!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jex

MORE bands??? I don't want 'em!

#1 Post by Jex »

I am both pouting and asking for opinion here. :? I have metal bands around 4 molars (and thank you to all of you who helped me through cleat-hell!). The very back molars--I think those are 2nd molars?----now need bands so that he can bring those into line. I am borderline distraught, and I'll tell ya why.....

Those bands freak me out! 1) They go down to or below the gumline, and 2) I can't brush those teeth and who knows if bacteria is cemented in between the band and my poor little teeth????

I realize I sound a little silly, but to me those things are BY FAR the worst part of having braces.

Opinions? Knowledge? I'll take it all.

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

I wouldn't worry about the bacteria thing. As long as the band fits properly, you won't have any decay underneath it. But you should still brush and floss around them. Especially around the gumline. I found that when there is a little bit of bare tooth between the band and the gums, that is a great place for plaque to collect.

I just had my braces taken off. I had bands on my molars for two and a half years, and they're all just fine!

Jex

#3 Post by Jex »

that's good to know. Congrats on getting your braces off! These bands really just creep me out, PLUS I'm so aggravated that I will have to go through SPACERS AGAIN!!! :shock: yuck

insinu8

#4 Post by insinu8 »

Jex, I feel for ya.

I've already got bands on all four of my 1st molars and just got spacers in today to make room for bands on all four 2nd molars.

I totally agree with you about spacers sucking. Thankfully, you can remind yourself that they'll only be troublesome for a week or so since they'll usually be coming right back out soon after that.

When they removed the first four bands to adjust the attached helices, my teeth were covered almost completely by the cement that holds the bands on. I doubt anything could get in there. It's like caulking between tiles.

But take the previous advice about staying on top of your cleaning...just to make extra sure.

Good luck with the new additions and try not to worry yourself about it. You're already an old pro at the school of cleat survival. Remember, wax is your friend!
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

¤sabrina¤

#5 Post by ¤sabrina¤ »

i worry about my teeth in bands too, just like u about decay, but once its cemented properly nothing can get in
i made my dentist take xrays b4 i got the braces but after the bands, put my mind at rest
i dont know how often he will do xrays as he knows i am paranoid about decay
my story -- http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25125
February 29 2008 - initial consultation, records and spacers
March 17 2008 - molar bands
March 20 2008 - 2 upper 1st premolar extractions
April 17 2008 - upper jaw braced
April 24 2008 - lower jaw braced
May 1 2009 - primary left central incisor extraction

nimo

#6 Post by nimo »

My orthodontist took two of my bands off to put new bands on for my TPA. They barely had to clean them at all, and you know how teeth have to be super clean in order for them to bond anything to them. It also was no problem getting them on, nor did I have any problems with the fifth band they put on a few months ago. It was much easier going than the intial four bands.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Jex

#7 Post by Jex »

Thank you all so much for your replies. Christopher, you're really going through the exact same thing. I don't know what helices are, but he has not said that word to me, so I'm assuming those aren't in my future.

I guess the worst of it is that, darn it, my only comfort when I had the spacers the first time was, "Well, at least you'll never have to do THAT again!" and now here I am, doing that again.

My complaints are pretty petty, though, when I read about what many of you have to go through. So far I know of no extractions and I've dodged an expander, so I think I should just keep my whimpering to myself---it could be much worse!

shoshiaf

#8 Post by shoshiaf »

I feel your pain. I just had spacers put in (again!) in order to make room for molar bands on my second molars. I've been in braces for 1.5 years. I feel like I'm going backwards in treatment by having this done, but I'm trying to make the best of it. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much, as a lot of people have it done and they turn out fine.

*melissa*

#9 Post by *melissa* »

Hey Jex, you got your braces 2 days before me and we have the same setup too...cool cool..
I am getting molar bands next week and am going through spacer hell right now too!! Just take tonz of Motrin!

Your sig makes make laugh!! :lol: hehehe

Jex

#10 Post by Jex »

Yeah, and I'm getting my new spacers the morning that I'm going to Jazz Fest. Hopefully that will take my mind off of them. If I have cleat problems with the new set, I think I will officially lose my mind.

Melissa, when do you get your braces off? My ortho said 1 year total.

¤sabrina¤

#11 Post by ¤sabrina¤ »

Jex wrote:Yeah, and I'm getting my new spacers the morning that I'm going to Jazz Fest. Hopefully that will take my mind off of them. If I have cleat problems with the new set, I think I will officially lose my mind.

Melissa, when do you get your braces off? My ortho said 1 year total.
off topic but which jazz fest are u going to?

Jex

#12 Post by Jex »

New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Sorry, you live down here long enough people will convince you it's the "only" Jazz Fest. LOL

*melissa*

#13 Post by *melissa* »

Jex- I am supposed to have them for about 2-3 years. I was never given an exact time frame :/

¤sabrina¤

#14 Post by ¤sabrina¤ »

Jex wrote:New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Sorry, you live down here long enough people will convince you it's the "only" Jazz Fest. LOL
i asked as there is one coming up in the caribbean in Tobago

Jex

#15 Post by Jex »

Melissa, it sounds like I got off a lot easier than you! :(
Sabrina, that one sounds like a LOT more fun than ours!