Getting extractions after getting braces on?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

seabee

Getting extractions after getting braces on?

#1 Post by seabee »

My ortho told me I would need to get some teeth pulled and said that I could get it done after I get my braces put on. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this?

shaolin

#2 Post by shaolin »

I had a tooth pulled after being braced. My ortho said it was to make sure I was happy to go the whole way with the braces as if I had the tooth pulled and then changed my mind, I'd have an unclosed gap forever. Seems some adults get them fitted and then change their minds about them.

Faerydust

#3 Post by Faerydust »

I have braces and I'm having extractions in 4 days. It seems that my ortho does it this way for most of his patients.
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

Beckster

#4 Post by Beckster »

When I was 11 and had been braced the first time, they pulled my last 2 baby teeth about a month after getting braces on.

I honestly do not know if that was to have the braces already on to close gaps, or whether there was other reason behind it, though...

Sorry if that made no sense
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."-Albert Camus

maydel

#5 Post by maydel »

Extractions? I wouldnt do it.. Trust me on this one. Not unless you want to be traumatized.

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Bollocks.

You may have been traumatised by extractions, but I certainly wasn't. My bite was going nowhere without having my wisdom tooth pulled.

msaeger

#7 Post by msaeger »

I have missing teeth so they didn't even talk about removing any :D

beth1966

#8 Post by beth1966 »

I think extractions for adult ortho patients is quite common. I've read about SO many people having it done both before and during treatment.

I had one tooth removed 2 weeks ago because it was fractured and a root canal did not remedy the pain. I lived with the discomfort for 2 years and then once I was ready for braces - I had it removed. Thankfully I waited, because if I had removed it and had an implant put in - it would have fouled up my plans for orthodontia!

In addition I think it is GREAT that your dentist is conservative and not rushing to remove teeth immediately because sometimes teeth don't need to be removed.

In my situation I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth and they are fully erupted and cause no pain. We will try to correct my bite without removing them first - and if that does not work, then they will need to come out.

Best of luck - sounds like your ortho has a good treatment plan in mind.

Bekah

#9 Post by Bekah »

My orthodontist said that he liked to wait till after the brakets were on so he could take them off only the teeth he wanted extracted. He said it would idiot proof the extractions. That way there were fewer mistakes!

He hasn't told me when it would happen but I know he wants me to have 4 teeth extracted to fix my profile he said.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#10 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I have to get my wisdom teeth extracted. All 4 of them. I already have braces on. I have had them on for 8 weeks now. I questioned my dental surgeon when he said i'd be getting the wisdom teeth extracted with braces on. He said that it is perfectly fine and safe to get teeth extracted. My ortho doc just doesn't put bracets or wires on the wisdom teeth since they are going. so ya its fine! My sis had the same problem as me and got her wisdom teeth extracted and she turned out fine. The only diff between my sis and I is that she had her wisdom teeth extracted during her jaw surgery where as i'm getting mine extracted this coming june (my jaw surgery isn't until next year). The reason they are extracting them now is because the top 2 teeth are already impacted so they wanna get them out of there!
the bottom 2 are on the way to being impacted so he wants them out of there +plus it give the bones in the jaw a chance to heal up really good before he goes in there again and performs the major surgery!

catfish

#11 Post by catfish »

I still need to have one of my lower incisors removed, and I've been in braces since August 2007. My ortho wanted to wait until I'd had the braces for a while before deciding which incisor needed to go. He said he wanted to see how they moved before making that decision. I don't know what he's looking for, but I trust him so I'm just waiting it out.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

nimo

#12 Post by nimo »

I had all my extractions after braces. No problems. I lucked out and had a week off afterwards. It was one of the most relaxing weeks of my life.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

UW07

#13 Post by UW07 »

Seabee, I had the same concerns as you when I was told I'd be getting extractions after my braces had been put on. I had my braces on for a little over 5 months, then had 2 extractions done last week. Initially I was supposed to have only one tooth extracted, but with the way my teeth and bite had changed since getting braces, my ortho decided it would be best to remove two premolars instead of one. I'm glad she made me wait until after my braces were on - I feel it gave her a greater accuracy in correcting my overbite, as she was able to see how my overbite looked after my teeth had become much more straight.