My tooth came in! Finally, sweet progress (pics included)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Evelyn

My tooth came in! Finally, sweet progress (pics included)

#1 Post by Evelyn »

Hey all! By now you've probably heard about my little problem with my impacted canine, about how it wasn't coming in and how frustrated I was getting. Well........ Guess what? Last time I went to the ortho, and only the glue was showing, then miracuously, within a couple of weeks, THE TOOTH CAME IN! I am just so ecstatic right now, let me tell you a bit about my story... I've had braces since sep. 9, 2002 and I was supposed to get them off around September 2004. Needless to say, I've gone over. We're looking at about 9 more months now, hopefully! That would be about 40 months in braces. It's been really hard for me because I got braces for the sole reason of getting this impacted canine in, the rest of my teeth were straight and my bite was good (even though it isn't now grrr, but hopefully they'll fix it).

Well, I first got it uncovered under general anaesthetic (I think that's what it's called, it's the kind where you have the IV and you actually go to sleep.) on January 2, 2004. Well, no sign of the tooth so in May, they pulled harder....so hard that the bracket was yanked off the tooth and came ripping through my gums, and much to my dismay, for all that pain all I got was a bracket dangling off my archwire with no tooth attached. So I had to get it re-uncovered. Fast forward to now, it's been 16 months since I got it uncovered and it has FINALLY decided to show up, I'm just absolutely ecstatic, words can't convey.

Just to show how utterly frustrated I was getting, here's my post on Feb. 27th, in reply to Joplin's:

Oh Joplin I feel for you...I'm in the exact same position. It's been almost two years since I got my impacted canine surgeically exposed, and no sign of it yet. Meanwhile, my other teeth are all fine and are just waiting for it to come down, so they haven't moved at all. I, as well, sometimes get desperately mad at how easy it all seems to be for them...no tying wires to teeth about 6 feet up into the gums, pulling at the gums the whole time, no crackets falling off the impacted tooth and going in for surgery....AGAIN, no uncomfortable chain leading up into my gum, and most of al.....sweet PROGRESS! That's something I haven't seen in forever, as you can't see a tooth coming through the gums unless it's actually erupted, which mine hasn't.

Sometimes I just want to scream so bad and yank these off, as I've had them on for two and a half years now, which is WAY longer than planned. It just seems like I'm seeing NO progress whatsoever and I keep thinking, why did I even bother? Why did I go through those three surgeries, why do I put up with the pain that I go through every day when I play my clarinet, Why do I do it? All I can say is that, in the end, this had BETTER be worth it! All I can think is that the harder you work at your smile the more you will treasure it.

Sorry for ranting, but I'm really getting depressed about this whole situation.

Sigh, Eve

Anyways, little did I know what was coming! I'm sorry it's so long, but even this can't convey what it feels like to FINALLY see some progress here after more than 2 1/2 years in braces. Here's a pic I took yesterday, sorry it's pretty bad but I'm still getting the hang of it all:

There it is!! It looks pointy because it's at an angle, but in realy life it's not as pointy.

And here's my teeth's progress as of now: hopefully soon they can bring down my left side of my mouth so all will be even and I'll be done!

And here's my teeth before it came in: you can see the space where it hadn't come in yet on your top right, my top left:

So there it is, once again sorry it's so long I just had to share what has to be my first good thing that has happened all treatment. Thanks so much everyone also for all of your support through my hard times, it's been rough but it's all worth it now, I don't know what I'd do without you all!
*Hugs* Eve[/i]
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

mj'smom

Hey Evelyn

#2 Post by mj'smom »

Congrats on your new tooth!
I have to ask: I noticed you are in VA and have a Hokies flag on your posts - are you in Blacksburg? My ortho is in Blacksburg, so I wondered if we have a "dr in common"!!

Dodger(UK)

#3 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Congratulations Evelyn on your momentus occasion. It's good that your impacted canine has finally shown it's face after all this time. I can imagine how overjoyed you are. I've read a few accounts of people's impacted canine's on this forum, and I know it can be a very complicated procedure to treat.

Evelyn

#4 Post by Evelyn »

Thanks for the replys Dodger and mj's mom! Oh man does progress feel good!
Eve
Braced September 9, 2002

Eleni

Re: My tooth came in! Finally, sweet progress (pics included

#5 Post by Eleni »

Evelyn wrote:Anyways, little did I know what was coming! I'm sorry it's so long, but even this can't convey what it feels like to FINALLY see some progress here after more than 2 1/2 years in braces. Here's a pic I took yesterday, sorry it's pretty bad but I'm still getting the hang of it all:

There it is!! It looks pointy because it's at an angle, but in realy life it's not as pointy.
:shock: That happened in a few weeks!?
Wow! Congradulations! Image

Hehehe, don't you feel like you grew a canine?
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

joplin

#6 Post by joplin »

:jump: CONGRATULATIONS, EVELYN! :jump:
If I were you I'd probably arrange a party for the occasion and give my newborn canine a name, I would love it so much :lol:
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Wow, I'm amazed that it took so long...but good for you for hanging in there! How much longer does your ortho think you'll need to have the braces on after the tooth is in all the way? No doubt, you may need to wear them for a while to ensure that the tooth doesn't retract or anything.

Anyway, congrats on your progress! You can give your tooth a "coming out" party!

:-V
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

cookie

#8 Post by cookie »

Woohoo - great progress for you!
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Attagirl2

#9 Post by Attagirl2 »

That's Super, Eveyln. You are to be commended on your patience!
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Evelyn

#10 Post by Evelyn »

Thank you so much everybody for replying! That's a great idea have a party, I think I'll go bake it a cake right now! Yummmmm!
Haha I think I'm too excited about this, but hey it's the first progress I've seen. Thanks again for the encouragment!
Love Eve
Braced September 9, 2002

kelly12300

#11 Post by kelly12300 »

Wow! That's fantastic progress! You should definately throw a party! :D *waves hello to Evelyns tooth!* :)
~*~Kelly~*~

Evelyn

#12 Post by Evelyn »

Evelyn's tooth waves hello back! Just happy to finally see the world!
Thanks for the reply Kelly!
~Eve
Braced September 9, 2002

spragers

#13 Post by spragers »

That's incredible progress! I guess it was just waiting until the right time to come on down :)

fyrelight

#14 Post by fyrelight »

Congrats, Evelyn.. I remember that moment when they finally got to put a REAL bracket on the canines and start putting more pressure on them.. AWESOME feeling to finally see them! :D It took mine some time too.. Like a year and a half to two years... my ortho told me he once saw it take like 3 years for some patient.. I was SOOOOO glad I was NOT that patient.. :lol:

Anyhow, congrats again!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Evelyn

#15 Post by Evelyn »

Thanks so much fyrelight and spragers! I made it a cake the other day and I think that coaxed it down even further, it's made quite a lot more progress than when I took that picture even!
Eve
Braced September 9, 2002