I need help choosing my braces!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Miranbrady20

I need help choosing my braces!!!

#1 Post by Miranbrady20 »

should I get the full metal damon braces or the half clear half metal damon braces for 400 bucks more??? I cant decied!

jenny101101

#2 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi XXNECRAXX,

I have Damon's with the half clear/half metal on my front 6. I like them but I don't have the all metal to compare to. Bottom line is: they're a bit more discreet(but not a whole lot) and is the extra $400 worth it? If you click on the WWW at the bottom of my post, you can check out my pics...good luck with your decision! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

YRhino

#3 Post by YRhino »

Maybe it's just me but clear braces are just as obvious as metal braces and metal braces work faster. I've also heard that clear braces are harder to keep clean because they become stained when you eat certain foods.

I guess it all comes down to how the clear braces will make you feel if you are somewhat insecure about having to wear braces at all. I'm 35 years old and rarely get comments on my full metal braces so clear braces would not have made any difference for me even if the cost was the same.

HkyGrl s2k

#4 Post by HkyGrl s2k »

I will be getting the half clear damons on the top and the metal ones on the bottom teeth. If you dont mind spending a little bit more, and want something a little more discreet, go for it. :)

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

The ceramic part of the damon 3 braces and make the braces slightly more discreet. I am getting damon 3's on top and the full metal damons on the bottom

The ceramic part of the braces do not stain. It the ligatures on all ceramic (non self-ligating) braces that stain. Damon 3 braces are self-ligating there therefore do not use the stainable ligatures.

ArchAngle

#6 Post by ArchAngle »

The sales pitch about that seemed a little off to me i.e. particular brand of brackets move teeth faster.

Not a lot of info out there, but I dug deep :wink: 'google is your friend'

It's the actual labor savings that calculated. Laborer fiddling with ligs vs. no ligs, calculated over 2 years shaves 4 months of visits. (in sum). Quite similarly I suspect the marketing 'fight' over Tylenol and ibuprofen -- that one 'delays' treatment. I suspect in that particular should an independent authority conduct a study, I would imagine, that using the one pain killer over the other, added up over 2 years say, amounts to a whopping 24 hour savings in your complete treatment.

8)

all very subtle and all very sneaky -- just like manufacturers selling heart valves, or pace makers. Biz niz is biz niz -- regardless whether it is medical, life saving or not.

SL brackets and time savings:

http://jorthod.maneyjournals.org:80/cgi ... l/30/3/262

wonky mcsnaggletooth

#7 Post by wonky mcsnaggletooth »

I have the half-clear Damons and they are really no less noticeable. There is really no difference between the all-metal and half-metal Damons, visibility wise. you will be able to see all the all-metal braces on the side teeth anyway. You may end up getting ligs at some point too, like me, which make the half-clear even more visible. I say save the $400!

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

I don't have damons but I chose clear brackets that are ligated with the elastics. I am happy with shelling out the extra money because they are fairly clear even when the ligs are stained. Many people ask me when I got retainers and had braces. I initially went with the clear because I just wasn't too excited about having all that metal in my mouth. It is a weird mental thing where I can taste metal, like eating a piece of pie from a metal pie tin. I'm an odd ball, yes, but I am happy with my decision to spend the extra money.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

TheNewEmperor

#9 Post by TheNewEmperor »

as everyone says: it's completely down to you but...

I have a full metal jacket :lol: and, if I were choosing again now, I'd go for clears at least in the 'social six'. my teeth aren't the whitest at the best of times and they are small, pointing inward with an underbite....the metal just seems to make my mouth seem all that more 'darker'. i've run into many people in the past couple of weeks with the clears and I think, 'awwww i want them'. having said that, i'm not changing over...I HATE adjustments (because my teeth feel like they are going to broken in two when taking off and putting on the ligs) and can't imagine the stress i'm going to have getting the brackets taken off after 2 years so i'm certainly not going to go through TWO processes (1st to switch to clear, 2nd for rebanding) of having them taken off

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

I would suggest for you to choose what you would feel most comfortable with.

I chose the clear brackets and have the metal brackets on some of the back teeth. It has been great being able to experience seeing both types of braces on my teeth. I chose the clear brackets because I was self-conscious about having to wear braces as an adult, but, at the same time was excited about going through orthodontic treatment. Personally, I think it is worth the extra cost for the clear brackets. I really think having the clear brackets and having the most wonderful and kind orthodontist has made my orthodontic treatment a great journey (it truly made a difference for me). I do like the look of the metal brackets, they are small and look nice. I asked my orthodontist if the outcome would be better with all metal brackets and if he had said yes, I would have gone with all metal brackets, and he said the outcome would be the same, but he did want to place metal brackets on some of the back teeth due to having to wear elastics during my ortho treatment. So, unless your orthodontist feels the outcome would be better with one bracket vs. the other bracket, then go with what you want.

Also, I have never had a problem with staining with the clear brackets. Usually if I eat something that I think may stain, I will rinse my mouth with water after I eat (for example after eating red licorice, spaghetti, etc.). From the beginning, my ortho's asst, told me that if I ever needed to come in to get stained elastics replaced, just to call the office and it wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck.

ssfw
~~~~~~~
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Steel

#11 Post by Steel »

I'd wear the steel ones.they look so cool,even if u dont think so