Getting braces taken off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MariaMetalMouth

Getting braces taken off

#1 Post by MariaMetalMouth »

on 2nd of October, and 9.15am!! Finally!!
It's been a long time coming, and still another 3 months :P
Anyone know what to expect, does it hurt? how long it takes?
thanks,

MMMx
Braced: 29th March 2006
Estimated time 18 months!

Spidey

#2 Post by Spidey »

October 2nd, was my brace day too... Although that was in 2006 :)

I would read through the My Brace Day stories here on Archwired, in the read-only section. It helps to get an idea of what you might expect. You also will learn after some time here that nobody's brace experience are exactly the same, and to expect the unexpected. :)

If you go into the journey knowing you are there for the long haul, don't rush it, and ask lots of questions then it makes the journey easier.

Good Luck!!

20 months in- and (maybe) 2 months to go!

Spidey

#3 Post by Spidey »

Oops- getting your braces OFF, not getting braces put ON!

Ha- that's what happens when you haven't had your morning coffee yet...

In that case, the braces removal stories will help. I suppose my other advice is not needed-- since I am so excited to get mine off "don't rush it" is silly advice :) wink

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Congratulations - October is not that far away.

If you have all metal brackets, they will most likely snap off quickly and you'll feel nothing.

Ceramics take a bit more effort. I can't say I enjoyed having the ceramics removed - had to bite down hard on a wafer (which hurt a bit) while they applied some sort of pliers to get 'em off. I'd also had a few break on me.

Other than that, some people say the cleaning process can be sensitive but I didn't find it to be a problem.

wonky mcsnaggletooth

#5 Post by wonky mcsnaggletooth »

They do kind of just pop off, quite amazing the lack of effort it can take. The most surprising thing was when they sanded the glue off...it did smell like burning hair (LASIK and tattoo removal also smells this way, ha) and when I got up to rinse it was like I had been "antiqued" (when you get a bag of flour dumped on your head as you sleep) my whole face was covered in dust that I even found in my ears the next day. So my advice is to keep your eyes closed tightly for that as you might get chunks in your eyes.

DireWire

#6 Post by DireWire »

well, my de-banding day is still in the far future (no idea... something like 6-12 mths? Or maybe more or maybe less?), so I can only contribute one experience:

I recently had a Creme Brulee, and a bracket came of like nothing. Very painless and enjoyable way of doing it. Highly recommended.

DireWire
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

They pop off quickly, the only thing I found uncomfortable was when they used the high speed thing to grind off the glue. The cold air and the grinding were something I could have lived without. It wasn't that bad and it was over very quickly.

The actual bracket removal was about 3 or 4 minutes. The grinding took a while because it wasn't working properly. Took about 10 minutes. Total time was less than 15 minutes. WITH NO PAIN.

Then I got retainers, pictures and instructions.

CONGRATULATIONS!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

funshine

#8 Post by funshine »

Congrats, Maria! Your countdown is on! :wink:

breda206

#9 Post by breda206 »

At my appointment in May, I asked the ortho how long until the finish line. He had originally given me 18-24 months, at that stage I was at 11 months.

He said oh not long at all, 6 months at most!

Wahey! I am so excited! but i'm still trying not to get my hopes up. I will be happy any time around christmas/ january. That is still much shorter than the worst case scenario 24 month stint! so yippee!

MariaMetalMouth

#10 Post by MariaMetalMouth »

Congrats to you, that must be great news!

Originally i was told 18 months, if that... that was nearly 30 months ago! :shock:

I've never said anything, cos i don't want them rushing it and doing a half hearted job.

Had an adjustment today, and theyve moved my deband date to September 18th.. wahooo! :D
Braced: 29th March 2006
Estimated time 18 months!