A bit down - braces not coming off anytime soon

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zondrae

A bit down - braces not coming off anytime soon

#1 Post by Zondrae »

had my adjustment last week and asked the question "when". My ortho says "well they should be off this year" :cry: My initial estimate was 20 - 24 months. I'm at 2 years next month. I don't want to still have braces at Christmas time! I'm so over them right now.

Just needed to vent to people that understand. :cry:

Zondrae

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I think hitting a wall is not uncommon. At least it's looking like 2008 for you, so you could be done by Xmas. Perhaps closer to the time your ortho may be more certain about a debanding date.

catfish

#3 Post by catfish »

Wow, sorry to hear about your disappointment. I know this isn't an exact science, and the treatment times are estimates, but you still can't help but get your hopes up. Good luck and I hope you can get them off in time for Christmas!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

pippy

#4 Post by pippy »

Am hitting the same wall and just about feel like banging my head into it! Was supposed to be finished next month (WAS supposed to be getting married)...am at 26 months and over it. Still have huge gaps that are not co-operating so there is no way it will even be 2008. Yet another Xmas and birthday in braces - yay. Fingers crossed yours are off before Christmas!!!

ccrisis

#5 Post by ccrisis »

Sorry you're feeling down, but as long as you keeping thinking about the end result you'll be fine!!!
Braced 03-09-07
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

stevon

#6 Post by stevon »

I can totally relate to how you feel. My original ortho had told me back in December '07 that I could be done in 2-3 months. I was thrilled to think that I could be brace-free by March or April at the latest. Then my ortho decided to move to Oregon and a new ortho took over. He decided things weren't quite good enough for him and said maybe by July. I was so disapointed!

4 weeks ago I learned that the practice I go to had been bought by 2 new orthos and that I would have a 3rd orthodontist in 2 years. I met one of the new guys and it turns out he is my favorite of the 3. He took a good look around my teeth and said things are looking mighty good. I mentioned that I was hoping for a July de-bracketing date and asked if he thought that was possoble. He smiled and said, "How does 3 weeks from now sound?" The 3 weeks ended up being 4 weeks, but nevertheless, my braces are coming off TOMORROW!

Hang in there. When I was disapointed my wife repeatedly told me, "Just think about how amazing your smile will be when it is all done." IOW - Keep your eyes on the prize!

emily25

#7 Post by emily25 »

Im not suprised your dissapointed but you wanna get everything where its supposed to be right?
I was supposed to only be braced for 15 months but its going to be 17 months.
I'd rather wait and get everything just so. You,ve come this far just hold on and keep positive. It will be worth the wait.

florencegal

#8 Post by florencegal »

Your feelings sound soooo familiar! I was given a very rough estimate of 18 months, accepted it could be over that and have just got a debanding date for Oct which'll make it 23 months in total. I hit my wall about 2 months ago and now just want to be done too! It is so frustrating when you feel really conflicted between realising what a great thing it is and that it has to happen in its own good time, versus the desire to get back to "normality" with a fantastic smile.

Hang on in there, you are so very nearly done and the extra wait will make it all the more worthwhile. I'm sure everyone goes through this phase, although I know that's not much consolation (not even to me either!) Keep asking every time you go in how things are looking so you know what you're up against.

I keep trying to tell myself that this will all be over quite soon in the grand scheme of things and I'll look back on these 2 years and it'll all be like a very odd dream! But a wonderful, life-changing one. Be proud, you'll be there before you know it

x

-Michael-

#9 Post by -Michael- »

I just hit a wall too so I am right there with you!

I want these things off already! I'm going to ask the 'when' question next time I go in. If he gives me too long of an answer, I'm going to ask what we can do to speed up the process.

You ever wonder if they go overly slow, or make mistakes and have to 'refix' your teeth because they moved unexpectedly?

I got the feeling my ortho was going to slow. In two appointments, I had not seen any movement or even felt it. I made it a major point at my 3rd appointment and all of sudden, bamn, he puts on four power chains and that got things moving immediately.

The weird part was...I went back the very next day to fix a bracket and he took a look and had the power chains removed because my teeth had already moved significantly overnight. So tell me...why then was my next appointment not for 6 weeks? If they can pop off power chains the very next day, then why wasn't I scheduled the very next day?

Oops...sorry, now you got me ranting too! :P

Spidey

#10 Post by Spidey »

I don't think the argument was made that it has to do with payment... I think just a general feeling of moving to slow?

I do see the difference in pace towards the end of treatment, of course. I see the ortho taking her time, making small minor adjustments back and forth to get the bite just right-- a few times something has moved quite quickly and I have gone in to have it checked, and adjusted when I was right. Not because the ortho was too slow or should have been checking more often-- sometimes the teeth just move in a surprizing way. :)

I TOTally get the feeling that I want to be done, and have been fighting the "just take 'em off already!!!" feeling, since my ortho and I first started talking about the end stages of the plan... but I am hanging in there and have been patient all this time. Sure, I want them off, and was feeling like the end is nowhere in sight.

I have a date now and this last 2 months (I hope) of treatment has been at a snails pace. !!! However- is that my perception bc I am so near the end?? Or are things really moving slower??

I'm not an ortho-- but I would certainly rather it done right than done 2 weeks earlier!