Athletes with Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maverick

Athletes with Braces

#1 Post by Maverick »

I've noticed many athletes with braces this Olympics and thought it was cool, eh? :D

Shelly-Ann Fraser just won the Womens 100m. It's not the best picture, but you can kind of see them.
There were several others, but didn't keep track of their names.

Kat

#2 Post by Kat »

So cool!
I've noticed a few in the gymnastics comps. as well!
Men and women. The ones wearing them were very young though.
:jump:
!!!FLOSS!!!

alex

#3 Post by alex »

I just watched and noticed this as well. They said she is 21 years old. I love finding other people around my age that have braces, and winning Olympic gold medals at the same time!

GiovanntiLawing

#4 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

I noticed as well her as well!!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

NYG2007

#5 Post by NYG2007 »

Brett Farve had braces... so did Terell Owens and Randy Moss. All while playing.
Braces worn for 2 Years 4 Days

Blog: http://nygbracesjourney.blogspot.com/

HeyTeach

#6 Post by HeyTeach »

Yeh, Farve did adverts for a Baltimore Ortho group (and probably others too) but rarely opened his mouth wide when he had metal due to nerve sensitivity issues I understand.

newguy

#7 Post by newguy »

i remember torii hunter, malik rose and tracy mcgrady also had braces.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Upper and lower premolars extracted.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Uppers braced with ceramics.
Jan. 26, 2008 - Lowers partially braced with metal. Front four will be braced with ceramics (TBD).
March 22, 2008 - Lowers fully braced. Front four with ceramics.

TheNewEmperor

#8 Post by TheNewEmperor »

It isn't only the athletes...here in Australia a lot of family members are being interviewed in lieu of talking to the athletes themselves and I've noticed some have had braces...and I'm not talking about children - ADULTS! It's great to see.

One great lady was speaking about her daughter who had just won in swimming and she was beaming from ear to ear and her braces were on full show...it was great to see.

John37

#9 Post by John37 »

Manu Ginóbili had them last year and got them off last April. He was 30 years old.

wonky mcsnaggletooth

#10 Post by wonky mcsnaggletooth »

Not an athlete someone who HAS braces but NEEDS them terribly:
Michael Phelps!
The first thing he should do with his endorsement millions is get some braces. I'm not sure what the proper name for his particular jaw issue is but whenever I see him smiling and talking on TV it's all I can think about. I am pretty sure it would not impact his swimming.

suetemi

#11 Post by suetemi »

wonky mcsnaggletooth wrote:Not an athlete someone who HAS braces but NEEDS them terribly:
Michael Phelps!
Haha, you are not alone in this opinion, wonky: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 945AA4jBeI

chef

#12 Post by chef »

not that I know anything, but it looks like he has had braces and didn't wear his retainer. it also looks like he had some sort of jaw aligning with a herbst appliance (I've been paying some attention at the ortho office)

bracesafter40

#13 Post by bracesafter40 »

Yup, I do note on my blog when I come across an athlete with braces.
Melanie Walker in the 200m is also in braces - http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com/2008/ ... races.html, my blog entry on the 18th.

There are also footballers and a few cricketers with braces. So it does not impede you at all. I did notice that it was in 2002 that the IOC put an Orthodontist on staff, which I thought was interesting.

And yes, Phelps needs braces, I actually thinks he needs jaw surgery. I told a few of my friends that and they thought I was nuts. but see I'm not the only one who thinks that.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a