Please forgive my french: I'm getting pissed off!!!!!!!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Future

Please forgive my french: I'm getting pissed off!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Post by Future »

There is one tooth in my mouth that will not allow the lig to stay attached. I have had this one bracket replaced twice thus far and it keeps coming unattached. I just got it replaced yesterday and guess what? Its coming off once again. I am becoming a problem patient for my ortho and the thought of me calling him once again to reattached it bothers me tremendously. I have no idea what to do. It appears the tooth may not want to budge so the force is causing the adhesive to weaken. My next appointment is in three weeks. I'm think about saying to hell with it and just wait for that adjustment to try again. This is getting ridiculous. I was such a good patient. What would you do?

Raven78

#2 Post by Raven78 »

I have a back molar that was like that. The last time it popped they left it off and let the other teeth move more before trying to put it back on. Since they let my other teeth get into a better arch it has stayed attached so far **knock on wood**.

Maybe leaving it off will give the others time to move and it will stay attached better. who knows. I would call and ask them if it would be okay.
Kendra.......
Braced~April 3, 2008
DeBraced~ Feb 10, 2010
Braced for 22 months & 1 week.
Now have clear retainers.

Future

#3 Post by Future »

Thanks. I just contacted my ortho and asked if I could leave it unattached until my next adjustment. He said that would be ok. We'll see....

CactusZAF

#4 Post by CactusZAF »

I can sympathize with you on this subject. I had a problem tooth/bracket that had to be bonded four times before it stayed put! Fortunately it has behaved for the past four or five months, so there is indeed hope for yours to come right. I don't know what to suggest other than hang in there, it will eventually come right.

Do not just leave it until your next adjustment, I tried this tactic and got dumped on from such a dizzy height by my ortho I was too embarrassed to argue or explain myself, my ortho gave me a lecture about not expecting such problems from his adult patients and how much time has to be added on to treatment to compensate for this etc etc. In my opinion, just bite the bullet and give your ortho's office a call so they can decide what to do about it as the longer you leave it, the more harm can be done (both physically and mentally).

All the best of luck, and remember that things will get better, it's a matter of time (and tries) before the bracket is securely attached to your tooth, perhaps your tooth just needs to be etched a bit more for the bonding to hold on properly.

Jerseyman

#5 Post by Jerseyman »

I had the same problem. The bonding came off three times and both the ortho and I were aggravated enough that he just banded the tooth until the rest fell into line.

Future

#6 Post by Future »

Thanks guys/gals for your input. I'm a bit fed up but feel more at ease knowing others have been through similar experiences. I anticipate my ortho, who is a great ortho, by the way, doing something to counter this issue.

Future

#7 Post by Future »

The same bracket on the same tooth popped off yet again today. I am having no issue with any of my other teeth. Why is this? I cannot keep running to my ortho every 7 days to get this lig reattached. This is absolutely crazy to me. My ortho is offering no other solution other than to keep trying. Am I the only one with a stubborn tooth?

Gennel

#8 Post by Gennel »

What tooth is this? Is it a molar or incisor? If its a molar I'm sure your ortho would have used a molar band instead.

Have they used wire ties instead of a regular elastic ligature? I had a tooth that caused this problem of the lig coming out but the bracket did not come off. Does this tooth have a filling on the area where the bracket is attached?

IF there is a filling in that spot ,the glue sometimes can't adhere properly..

Gennel

Future

#9 Post by Future »

The tooth is a lateral incisor (upper). No filling. The tooth is a bit stubborn but isn't crooked or out of place in relation to the other teeth. Anyway, my ortho decided to ban my tooth to avoid the same thing from occurring. We'll see what the results are. Not as pleasing to look at, but at this point, I couldn't care less.

Thanks.

-Michael-

#10 Post by -Michael- »

I remember my ortho in the beginning. He mentioned that he would try bonding the brackets in back (instead of banding) and 'see how those do' and go from there. I inquired further and he said sometimes it can be frustrating because the bond can break and the brackets fall if. *if* that was to happen, then he would have gone to bands.

I only had one bracket fall off (which I swallowed by accident...hehe).

Some people I guess they stick, and others I guess not.