Palatal bar - how long to adjust?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

travelbug

Palatal bar - how long to adjust?

#1 Post by travelbug »

Hi everyone,

I am getting a palatal bar next month. I have heard that it is difficult to talk and eat after getting one. For those of you that have had a palatal bar, how long did it take you to get used to it and to be able to talk and eat normally again?

Printemps

#2 Post by Printemps »

Hi Travelbug,
I had a palatal bar years ago, and I scarely had any difficulty! It really will take a week a tmost to adjust, and In my experience, I suffered from no speech impediment, at least not after the first day! Good luck! :D o

Ashley

#3 Post by Ashley »

Hey! I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I actually have a TPA in the roof of my mouth. For the first month or so, it is very hard to talk or eat. I wouldn't say hard to talk, it just hurts.. because it really blisters your tounge. I have an impression on my tounge in the shape of a TPA. However, once your tounge toughens up to it, you can start learning how to better manuever food! You won't even know it's there after a while, in fact, I don't even remember mine's there until I come across something like it on archwired:P Oh, and one difficulty you may have with it is spitting lol, like when you brush your teeth.