Lisp Speech Defect

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carot

Lisp Speech Defect

#1 Post by Carot »

Wondering if my lisp will go during the braces i have them on four months now and still know sign of it going

does it go for everone?

PuppySmiles

#2 Post by PuppySmiles »

That depends on the cause of your lisp, and the outcome of your braces.

I have a little lisp related to a tongue thrust problem. It won't be fixed by the braces, because they aren't closing my open bite. To the contrary, I need to go to a speech pathologist to get rid of the tongue thrust (and the lisp) so that my tongue doesn't push my teeth all out of alignment after they've been straightened so nicely.

I would ask your orthodontist.

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#3 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ripchord

#4 Post by ripchord »

Some people get lisps with braces, some don't. If you do form a lisp, practice saying things aloud and your muscles should retrain themselves to avoid lisping pretty rapidly. The suggestions above are also great :)
Braced on January 5th, 2007
Debanded on April 2nd, 2009

Click www to see my story!

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#5 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike

#6 Post by mike »

I am a speech pathologist and one week into braces! I still can't chew as my bite is completely off.

But I can address the speech and tongue thrust issues. Try talking with a slight smile. This will raise the jaw, retract the lips and help the tongue move in the right way. Rate will need to be reduces as well. As for tongue thrust, this is usually fixed pretty easily by a speech pathologist, 4-6 sessions. Your tongue should NOT touch your teeth when you swallow!

I get referrals from dentists, never from orthodontists.