New... and I was just wondering...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mandapanda

New... and I was just wondering...

#1 Post by mandapanda »

This may be the wrong place for this, but I hope not.

I've been a long time lurker, as I've intended to get braces for a few years now to fix the crowding I have and just now have the nerve to get them. I figure the process will help my health in many ways and be beneficial to the field that I intend on going into once school is finished. I've learned a lot of things from this board and any insight would be much appreciated. :D

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble with a tooth. It's the molar second from the back on the left side. The filling ((the 2nd filling in the tooth)) had fallen out a year ago and I know I should of had it fixed then, but job promotions, moving 4000 miles, and deciding to go to school had kind of put that in the back of my mind. Now the tooth has a rather large cavity and has been causing headaches from time to time. I've decided to get this tooth fixed and a consultation for braces (all to be done on Tuesday, the 9th). The office I'm going to has the dentist that also does orthodontics and from what I've seen on the website, it seems to be very reputable in everything. I talked to one of the ladies at the office yesterday while setting up my appointment and she said we could set up a consultation for braces and have a look at the tooth... but if I'm thinking about getting braces that there is no way that the tooth could be pulled, which was an option I was considering because third time may be a charm but I don't know if I was to risk it again with another filling in that tooth. So she suggested a root canal and a crown. Ok.
But I'm just wondering:: Are molar bands only placed on the tooth 2nd from the back and that's why there would be no extraction of that tooth? Or could it all be done from the very last molar? And although her expierence and what she had to say was very helpful and offered another option I didn't even think of, would it be better if she had waited to see the tooth ((which is very badly decayed and could almost be gone :oops: . everything is 20/20 in retrospect.))? I guess I'm just wondering mainly if there are any other options that I could consider and perhaps bring up? I'd hate to not go with this office as they do accept the capitol one financing, seem very knowledgeable, and from what I've heard are very good- they do a lot of the adult clients in Fairbanks, AK and one of the girls I work with goes to their office. Or is this my best route?

Sorry there are no pictures to describe (camera is on the fritz) and that this came out sooooo long. I'm grateful for any input. :D :D

PuppySmiles

Re: New... and I was just wondering...

#2 Post by PuppySmiles »

mandapanda wrote: I talked to one of the ladies at the office yesterday while setting up my appointment and she said we could set up a consultation for braces and have a look at the tooth... but if I'm thinking about getting braces that there is no way that the tooth could be pulled, which was an option I was considering because third time may be a charm but I don't know if I was to risk it again with another filling in that tooth. So she suggested a root canal and a crown.
I'm no orthodontist, for sure. But did this opinion and suggested course of treatment come from a receptionist? Or was it from the doctor?

From other things I've read here, removing a tooth (or not removing it) is a big deal, and I'd want the professional opinion of a doctor who had looked at my teeth (and maybe also x-rays).

mandapanda

#3 Post by mandapanda »

:D :D

Thank you so much both of you! I suppose my best bet will be just to head in on Tuesday and find out all the possibilities and hopefully hear them from the doctor himself. And if I have to, I'll run the other way. :) I did recieve a packet in the mail today from the office with a questionnaire that I'm to fill out and give back before my appointment. I did state more than once that I would like to be given every option possible, so hopefully they'll notice that part.

Thank you both again so much. It's a big help and has put me more at ease.