WARNING: Yahoo Email Phishing Scam

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

WARNING: Yahoo Email Phishing Scam

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

I'm posting this here so it will get the most exposure. If you have a Yahoo email account, you may receive this fake (but very real-looking) email. Please beware!

I received this email today, and I'm sure a lot of Yahoo account users will be getting it. It appears to be a phishing scam. I forwarded it to phishing@cc.yahoo-inc.com

The email says that if you don't fill in the information, your account will be deleted (which is total nonsense). If you get this email, it LOOKS very official and could easily fool you. The email starts with this:

Yahoo! Mail account verification.

Dear Valued Member,

Due to the congestion in the Yahoo system database and removal of all unused Yahoo Accounts, Yahoo (Inc) would be shutting down all unused Accounts. You will have to verify and confirm your e-mail in the account information box on the right hand side by filling out your login details after clicking the reply botton, or your account will be suspended/terminated within 24 hours for security reasons.

...and it goes on to say:

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account after opening this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Please do not fill in any of the information. There is no way that this email could be legitimate.

For more information about recognizing phishing emails, visit this Yahoo page:

http://security.yahoo.com/article.html?aid=2006102502

Oh, one more thing....I investigated some of the IP addresses in the header and guess what...big surprise....the email originates in NIGERIA.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Carot

#2 Post by Carot »

Sound advice