4 bicuspids removed for overbite, advice!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

howimetjiggy

4 bicuspids removed for overbite, advice!

#1 Post by howimetjiggy »

I am new to this website and I have some advice about overbite correction.

I have an overbite that can be described as moderate. I can touch my pallate with my bottom teeth but I would not describe it as severe. Nonetheless I decided I needed braces (I am 27) and I have a great ortho who told me he can correct this by removing 4 bicuspids. I refused to go the surgical route and he said I had a choice so I went the removal teeth route.

So I had the braces put on at the end of OCT and yesterday I had an appointment with my dentist to remove the 4 teeth. My dentist though nearly refused to remove them. He did not understand why my ortho wanted to remove these teeth and even after explaining this to him he was very adamant. He and my ortho spoke and my ortho told him he understood his concerns and told him to remove the upper 2 teeth for now. My dentist scared the CRAP out of me. Mind you he did say "well I'm not an ortho and hope I'm not wrong" but now I'm just super concerned. Has anyone had 4 teeth removed for an overbite? He was making it seem like it was going to look bad or something.....I'd like some advice please!
Also how different may I look once all this is said and done. I've been reading about people saying they have seen drastic facial changes *sunken faces* etc...

Thanks

braceface418

#2 Post by braceface418 »

Well, you already have your braces on, but if you didn't have additional consultations with other orthodontists, it couldn't hurt before you have those teeth extracted. A little consensus can be a very helpful thing.

I've seen a lot of threads about extractions, including this recent one here. There was also a poll a few months ago, here, that asked people about their extractions. Searching for the terms bicuspid and extraction will also pull up a lot of hits for other people's stories that might be useful.

If you do go for those consultations, be sure to ask about changes to your facial structure. It might not hurt to discuss this with your orthodontist as well before you have those teeth removed. Good luck!

howimetjiggy

#3 Post by howimetjiggy »

I guess I should say I already had 2 pre-molars removed yesterday, not yet the lower because the dentist was concerned...

bb

#4 Post by bb »

I guess since you rejected oral surgery, your ortho is more limited as to what he or she can do and it makes sense to me that in order to move those top teeth back, you need to make some space where they can move to.

AngelaMiller

Don't remove if possible.

#5 Post by AngelaMiller »

I totally understand why the dentist did not want to remove the bicuspids.

Unless you have a "big mouth" to begin with, removing bicuspids can sometimes give your face a "flat look." I know. I had basically straight teeth, but I had a deep bite. Four bicuspids were removed.

Since then, I have never adjusted to my new appearance. Like my girlfriend said to me, "When I saw you when you got your braces off, it looked like you, but it didn't look like you." "Your teeth were pushed in."

My advice -- see if you can keep your teeth!