Dog ate retainers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

river

Dog ate retainers

#1 Post by river »

no really he did eat my retainers !!! It happened last night i was eating just before so i left them on my bed side table and then i went into another room to fix the telephone wire as my dad ripped it out the wall with his feet cuz he didnt see it :roll: even thought i said mind the wire :shock: , and when i went back to my room i found a cuddly toy where my retainers should of been !!!!!

im being completly honest it was like the dog traded his toy for my retainers , what made it even worse was he took them both and i found bits all over the house :-((

iv just rang up the dentist and he said come today at 11:40 and that it was going to cost me £118 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-(( :-((
£59 for the bottom and then £59 for the top :-((

i just cant stop :-((

thisisme

#2 Post by thisisme »

Aw, I'm sorry that happened to you.

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

That is a drag, but at least you know where it went and that it's totally destroyed. In high school I picked thru a Duncan Donut garbage can helping my friend try to find her retainer. We failed. She had put it in a napkin while she ate and then threw the napkin and retainer away. Apparently this is a rite of passage for high schoolers; I've heard variations on the dumpster-diving-for-retainer-story a lot.

bracedat44

#4 Post by bracedat44 »

I have a bite plate and the first thing the ortho said when fitting it was "do you have a dog?" (I don't) and stated that dogs are attracted to the scent and love to chew retainer material!
click www for my story

switchblades

#5 Post by switchblades »

bracedat44 wrote:I have a bite plate and the first thing the ortho said when fitting it was "do you have a dog?" (I don't) and stated that dogs are attracted to the scent and love to chew retainer material!
This is exactly what mine said, keep it in ti's case and up high, because pets think they're chew toys (made of a similar plastic type I think, that smells the same).

I'm sorry this happened to you, I was lucky enough to not have that issue growing up...my dog was past the chewing stage and didn't even like plastic chew toys.
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

There's a story like this is in the book "I Lost My Retainer!"

http://www.dentakit.com/ilomyre.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!