Painless Jaw Popping

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MC Squared

Painless Jaw Popping

#1 Post by MC Squared »

Hey--anyone out there ever have jaw popping when they wake up in the morning? I never had it before being put 24/7 in Class 2 elastics about a month ago. It doesn't hurt, and it only pops a few times on my right side only. I never seem to notice it while I'm chewing food or yawning--just when I wake up. I'm thinking that during my sleep I might be holding my jaw in a strange position-- with my lower jaw pushed foward---almost in an underbite? I say this because I have caught myself doing this a few times in a semi-sleep state. Could it be the Class 2 elastics? Like I said, no pain, but it does seem to be kind of loud. I am (hopefully) nearing the end, and would hate to be undoing 30+months of work. :!:

Megan11

#2 Post by Megan11 »

I have Jaw popping on only my right side as well. I went to three consultations and all three of them mentioned it but because I didn't experience any pain they didn't seem to think much of it. If it only happens when you wake up then I don't think it would be a problem, mine happens almost every time I yawn or open my mouth wide. By looking at your xrays the orthodontists can tell if any problems are happening.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

KLC

#3 Post by KLC »

I actually just experiencing this exact same thing the other morning. I noticed it brushing my teeth. By the time I was done, it had stopped. So bizarre... and I don't have elastics. I have an adjustment tomorrow, hopefully I'll remember to bring it up to my ortho.

MC Squared

#4 Post by MC Squared »

Thanks for your responses, guys. I have an ortho appt tomorrow as well, KLC---will let you know if anything comes out of it!

jxds

#5 Post by jxds »

I dont wear elastics yet, but I have found myself pushing my lowers forward. I've got a friend who's wearing class II elastics as well and she had the same tendency of pushing her mandible forward at night. Her ortho told she to double the elastics at night to help hold the mandible in place. So I would just let your doc know (I will in my next adjustment).

retainerjoe

#6 Post by retainerjoe »

i had very bad tm probs, it could be the condyle , it could be ligaments or even cartlage at the tm joint, it most case's it's caused by the elastics pulling your jaw in a new unused direction your not use to , it's allways best to let your orthodontist know this is going on , as the tm joint can cause lots of pain, so please tell your ortho :lol:
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

MC Squared

#7 Post by MC Squared »

Just a quick F/U...went to my appt this morning, and no real concern from my ortho re: jaw popping- as it was painless and occurring only in the AM. I had impressions taken for my lower retainer (which will be bonded) and was also given a debonding date---January 27th----YEAH! Am in elastics 24/7 until then, although the configuration has changed.

I AM SO EXCITED!!! :D

KLC

#8 Post by KLC »

I AM SO EXCITED!!!
And I am so jealous!!!

Good for you :D

All Smiles

Jaw popping

#9 Post by All Smiles »

With regards to the jaw popping, the left side of my jaw pops every once in a while (on average once a day) and it occurs in the morning when I open my mouth to yawn/speak or during the day if I haven't spoken to anyone for a couple hours. I have a very small class III, almost unnoticeable to the naked eye unless I clench and bare my teeth, but I rarely do that. My ortho asked me about it during my consultation and as long as it is not causing me discomfort or pain it is nothing to worry about. He says it occurs to 60% of people and it is very normal.

So I have never given it a second thought. I hope that helps!

evelinany

#10 Post by evelinany »

I have painless jaw popping when I yawn or open too wide. My ortho asked if I had pain but I said no...