40...and going for it.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Airchie

40...and going for it.

#1 Post by Airchie »

Hi All,

Just registered and wanted to say hello.

After years of mulling it over I decided to go for the orthodontic consult and I'm just signing the consent forms to get things rolling.

Final straw was seeing my 10yr old son copying my smile-hiding mannerisms (he has a great smile :D ). So, I've been through some prep-work with my regular dentist and am raring to get started.

Looks like it's going to be Clarity-SL on the top with the same on the lower fronts since I didn't like the look of the "Incognito" (or the price :o ).

I had some qualms about starting treatment at my age but reading the forum comments helped to back up the "cool" and "excellent" comments from friends and family I've spoken too.

hj55

#2 Post by hj55 »

Congratulations on taking the plunge! I am now 54 and have had braces since November after years of wanting to do something.

I've found people -at work & at home very supportive & found out loads of info here. Best Wishes Helen

eyebeeablessing2u

#3 Post by eyebeeablessing2u »

Congrats and Welcome to the world of over "40" and braced LOL
I am 43 and getting mine on april 2 or sooner if they get a cancellation.

Karen

bb

#4 Post by bb »

Congrats! Mulling it over for years - you're more than ready!
Good luck!! :D

BraceFaceAt48

#5 Post by BraceFaceAt48 »

This is a great place to be. I'm BraceFace(d)At48 and this forum has really helped in many ways! I'm 1 month, in upper Clarity brackets, into an 18 month program and doing well. I'm sure you will do fine. :D Welcome aboard :!:

PfectPitch

#6 Post by PfectPitch »

There's a huge over-40 group here! DOn't think of it as , OMG, I'm going to be 42 when I get done with this..Think of it this way: how old would you be in two years if you DIDN'T get them?!?! Good luck! (Love your Scot avatar!)

tlkiser

#7 Post by tlkiser »

Hi all - I'm 40 later this year and just had braces put on. Uppers with a Nance appliance. Lowers to come later - I've got a really bad overbite, and the lower braces can't be placed until the upper teeth have moved around some.

Response so far has been really positive - a couple of people have even told me I look younger with braces!!!

Looking forward to a beautiful smile in a couple years!

holly0841

#8 Post by holly0841 »

Good for you, I am 35 and have had them for a year. My husband thinks their "cute" I have people find out how old I am and they cant beleive it because I look so young so there are some perks aside from great teeth. I can also tell you that you will no longer hide your smile once you have braces, why should you? It is obvious that you are fixing them so therefore there is nothing to hide. Good luck! :D
Braced 3/11/08 Uppers
Braced 11/08 Lowers
2 Impacted Canines
Surgery 03/06/09 for exposure of teeth # 6 & #11

Airchie

#9 Post by Airchie »

Thanks folks - it's great to be in touch with such a large, supportive, group of people who've either been-there-done-that or are currently going through the process!

I signed the forms and sent them off - April 24th is my first appointment on the treatment plan and I'm looking forward to it. :D

DireWire

#10 Post by DireWire »

think about eating some of the things that you might enjoy less with brades: steaks, peanut m&m's and the like...

DireWire (47, one year in and probably soon out)
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths