I'm new here and need some help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kelsxx

I'm new here and need some help!

#1 Post by kelsxx »

So, I've had braces since I was 11. I'm 16 now. It seems like my doctor doesn't know how to fix my upper bite, the left side is uneven with the rest of my mouth. I don't know if I should get another opinion or if I should just stick it out. My junior prom is coming up in May and I really wanted my braces off for it. But, it doesn't look like that'll happen. Is there any other options I could do besides the braces? Am I too far along to get Invisalign Braces?

Andromeda

#2 Post by Andromeda »

Sorry to hear about your situation kelsxx. Was there anything specific that made you think your ortho does not know how to fix your bite, or are you just assuming that is the case because it is taking so long? Have you told him/her about your concern and asked what the rest of your treatment will entail? I would definitely bring these things up at your next appointment and make your concerns known. If you are not satisfied with the response you get, then it can't hurt to get another opinion. Most orthos will give a free consultation, so there's really nothing to lose. But definitely talk to your current ortho first.

I think some type of braces is the only option to fix your bite. I'm not sure if Invisilign would be an option because I am not qualified to make that judgement, but if it is, you might wind up paying a lot more for it. You'd have to get the computer models made which I think is where a large portion of their cost comes from.

I don't really know what else to say except that I sincerely hope it works out for you. Good luck and keep us posted please!

blueeyedboy

#3 Post by blueeyedboy »

Do you know what your original time estimate was? Are you way off course, compared to that estimate?

kelsxx

#4 Post by kelsxx »

My original treatment time was roughly 18 months. The main concern I have with my orthodontist is that he doesn't seem to be doing anything for my bite.

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

You should specifically ask him about this. Or, if you're uncomfortable asking him (or don't think he'll take you seriously), have one of your parents ask him these questions.

What about your bite seems "off" to you? Is your midline off? Do your upper and lower teeth not meet the way you think they should?

BTW, Invisalign cannot be used to fix all problems. In some cases, it can create more problems than it fixes, especially when it comes to the bite.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

kelsxx

#6 Post by kelsxx »

The teeth on my upper left jaw don't line up with the bottom, but on the right they do. I got put in elastics about 2 months ago, I wear them consistently and they haven't worked yet.

blueeyedboy

#7 Post by blueeyedboy »

kelsxx wrote:My original treatment time was roughly 18 months. The main concern I have with my orthodontist is that he doesn't seem to be doing anything for my bite.
That's quite an underestimate. Were you seeing the orthodontist at regular intervals during that time, or was there a period of time when you didn't go?

kelsxx

#8 Post by kelsxx »

There was a period of about 3 months where I didn't go because I was sick and had to reschedule my appointment which I couldn't get until this month.

blueeyedboy

#9 Post by blueeyedboy »

kelsxx wrote:There was a period of about 3 months where I didn't go because I was sick and had to reschedule my appointment which I couldn't get until this month.
Given that in the 5 years you have had braces you only missed 3 months of treatment due to illness, and given that the original estimate of 18 months has already been tripled without any end in sight, I would be seeking out another orthodontist, at least for a consultation. The miscalculation in the estimate is just so far off, that I would have serious doubts. Something doesn't seem quite right to me.

xnicole

#10 Post by xnicole »

I know how you feel. I have had my braces since I was 7 and I'm fourteen now. Just stick it out, I know it will be worth it in the end because I have had to do the same thing. I also, have no end in sight for me :(
Yes, I look froward to my orthodontist appointments :D

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

kelsxx wrote:The teeth on my upper left jaw don't line up with the bottom, but on the right they do. I got put in elastics about 2 months ago, I wear them consistently and they haven't worked yet.
Do you mean that they don't line up top to bottom (as in top tooth right under the bottom tooth), or do you mean that you have a crossbite (the teeth meet properly on one side of your mouth, but the top teeth are behind or in front of the bottom teeth on the other side)?

Would you be able to post a photo of your teeth to show us?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

kelsxx

#12 Post by kelsxx »

bbsadmin wrote:
kelsxx wrote:The teeth on my upper left jaw don't line up with the bottom, but on the right they do. I got put in elastics about 2 months ago, I wear them consistently and they haven't worked yet.
Do you mean that they don't line up top to bottom (as in top tooth right under the bottom tooth), or do you mean that you have a crossbite (the teeth meet properly on one side of your mouth, but the top teeth are behind or in front of the bottom teeth on the other side)?

Would you be able to post a photo of your teeth to show us?
From your description, I have a cross bite. But, Tuesday I'm going in to get impressions and pictures taken to hopefully get Invisalign braces.

bbsadmin

#13 Post by bbsadmin »

Are you going to get the Invisalign braces done by the same orthodontist or a different orthodontist?

As I stated earlier, Invisalign doesn't fix some problems, particularly difficult bite problems. I have read cases where people got Invisalign just to straighten a few teeth and wound up with serious bite issues and then needed regular braces to correct them. Some people have great success with Invisalign, but it does not work for everyone, and is not indicated for all cases. I know that you're probably fed up with having all that metal in your mouth for so many years, but IMO you should think carefully about this.

If your current orthodontist can't give you or your parents an explanation about what is going on, and what the game plan is, then I would advise you to see a different orthodontist. But I frankly don't see how Invisalign will fix a crossbite.

kelsxx

#14 Post by kelsxx »

I am seeing the same Orthodontist for the impressions and pictures. I'm having a consult with him afterward and if he doesn't give me a direct answer as to how he's going to fix my bite, then I'm getting a second opinion. I'm going to ask him about the Invisalign and if he doesn't think it's a good idea, then I won't be so persistent on getting them.