How often do you change elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Vyse

How often do you change elastics

#1 Post by Vyse »

Hi guys, how often do you change your elastics? Would 24 hours be too often? Also when did you start seeing movement (i.e. midline) after getting elastics? Ive had them for about 1 month now and there is hardly any movement do you think it would be alright to use 2 elastic bands instead?

Thanks

blueeyedboy

#2 Post by blueeyedboy »

I change mine at least twice a day, usually even more than that. At least first thing in the morning and after dinner, but oftentimes after lunch as well. My orthodontist said that they lose their elasticity, and that I shouldn't think twice about replacing them. Before doubling up, I would consider just replacing them more frequently. Don't double up without clearing it with your orthodontist.

DireWire

#3 Post by DireWire »

Hey,

I used at least 3 per day -- morning, lunch, evening plus potentially changes in-between. They cost only pennies and they do wear out, so don't be shy.

As far as doubling-up is concerned, I'm not sure this is a good idea. Your ortho probably chose the strength he felt was appropriate.

I didn't see much movement, but my bite definitely closed with elastics and I feel I'm nearing the end of the treatment by now.

DireWire
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths

Neptune

#4 Post by Neptune »

I change my triangle and Class III elastics a bunch of times a day! The only time I put the same ones back in is when I'm away from my supply. With my triangle configuration, it's more challenging to eat with elastic so I always take them out before eating. When I was wearing ONLY Class III elastics, I changed them out less frequently because I didn't have to take them out in order to eat.

At a minimum (in my opinion), unless otherwise directed by your ortho, I'd make sure to change them before bed, when you wake up, and then after lunch.
08 Apr 2008 - Front teeth braced.
30 Aug 2010 - New bracket brand placed on upper four incisors.

Initial Ortho Sentence: 18-20 months.

allisun

#5 Post by allisun »

I take them out to eat and brush, so that's about 4x day.

LCARA

#6 Post by LCARA »

Change them as much as necessary. I think once per 24 hours is not enough, because the elastic will degrade and stretch too much in that amount of time.

I go through up to 5-10 per day. Although when I'm running low I'll be a bit more conservative.

Maybe you're not wearing them long enough? Or not changing them enough?

starzz

#7 Post by starzz »

I change them when I brush my teeth or when they break, which works out to at least 3x day. It may be hard to see your progress yet and it could also be what you're wearing now is addressing a different issue first. No don't double up; wear as prescribed. I have worn elastics in various different configurations for well over a year. I currently wear one set 24/7 and have a second set on different teeth I add for overnight -- I ca hardly move my jaw and it's fine while sleeping but it could be a problem to speak clearly with so many elastics on!

starzz

#8 Post by starzz »

I change them when I brush my teeth or when they break, which works out to at least 3x day. It may be hard to see your progress yet and it could also be what you're wearing now is addressing a different issue first. No don't double up; wear as prescribed. I have worn elastics in various different configurations for well over a year. I currently wear one set 24/7 and have a second set on different teeth I add for overnight -- I ca hardly move my jaw and it's fine while sleeping but it could be a problem to speak clearly with so many elastics on!

thesallymonster

#9 Post by thesallymonster »

I change my elastics 3-4 times a day as my ortho instructed me to. I've had mine for a week now and haven't really seen any movement yet. People's teeth move at different speeds, and most people who wear elastics have them for months anyway.

Don't be afraid to change yours more often. They do lose strength the longer you wear the same pair, as others have pointed out. If you run out of elastics, call your ortho and they'll give you more, elastics are very cheap so the ortho shouldn't charge you.

Don't double up without your ortho's permission, as that can be bad for your teeth.
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.

TigerLily

#10 Post by TigerLily »

My ortho told me to change mine once a day, taking them out to eat and brush my teeth.

I told her at my last appointment that I usually change them 2-3 times a day and she said that I didn't need to do that, but when I explained that frankly I couldn't be bothered to faff about taking out 6 elastics and organise them in a way that I needed to put them back in properly (they are different types) when I ate or brushed my teeth, she was fine with that and gave me extra packets for next time.

By the way, I also mentioned to her that I sometimes kept them on when I ate, e.g. porridge she said she really didn't want me to do that due to the risk of a spoon or something getting caught or yanking and debonding a bracket.

kddblue

#11 Post by kddblue »

I change mine 3 times a day...usually in the morning after I brush my teeth, between lunch and dinner, and then again at night. I only have one elastic right now and it doesn't go from top to bottom so my ortho told me not to worry about taking it out to eat. :D

sdawdy

#12 Post by sdawdy »

I was advised to wear mine 24 hours a day....but i was told to eat with them in and then change them after i eat each time....i do eat about 6 times a day so, i change them about 6 times a day. but then again, i like the tight feel....weird huh

SD

Jewles

#13 Post by Jewles »

my ortho told me to change them every 3 days! it doesnt seem enough, they have no elastic left in them

sdawdy

#14 Post by sdawdy »

wow....every 3 days... I personally would call and make sure (s)he didn't mean 3 times a day!!!