Hi, new here, anyone not got/getting cermaics or invisalign

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sweety24

Hi, new here, anyone not got/getting cermaics or invisalign

#1 Post by Sweety24 »

Hi,
I was just wondering whether any adults were opting to have the metal braces rather than the ceramic or invisalign options? I am 21 and will be having metal braces fitted in a few months after having to have teeth extraction (aaaargh!) and was wondering if anyone else chose to have metal braces? If so did you have colours on them? I'm thinking a lot of different colours atm but I'm not sure what will look good or not. Any help?? Also can you drink alcohol with braces on?? Sweety x

starzz

#2 Post by starzz »

Welcome Sweety24!

There are definitely some adults with all metal; look through pics in the braces stories section. Personally I have clear/ceramic on the top front 6 and the rest metal.

As for ligatures if you drink coffee or eat curry, the clear or light colors will stain. Thus you will want darker colored ligs like grey, dark blue, purple etc. Ligs get changed at each appt so it's no big deal if they stain plus you can experiment with different colors each time.

Absolutely you can drink with braces on, you can't very well take them off to drink now can you? :wink: (However Invisilign should be removed for anything other than water.) I do believe anyone under 40 with braces will inevitably get carded (in USA anyway). :-88
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

sdawdy

#3 Post by sdawdy »

I am a full metal mouth....29 years old....I have had so much fun playing with the different colors....There was one appointment that I could not figure out what to do, so I let my ortho pick....ended up with hot pink and bright yellow....Its a game we play at work to see who will pick the color of the adjustment! I figure, if i am going to deal with these for who knows how long....lets have fun!

SD

kddblue

#4 Post by kddblue »

I'll be 21 in June and I have metal braces. Yeah, the light colors do stain...right now I have a light blue powerchain on top and it went green after a few days (I drink a lot of Diet Coke :lol:) but I really like the periwinkle/light purple, it actually didn't stain too bad. I've had dark blue, light blue, gray, hot pink and green, dark green, lime green, clear (turned yellow right away, lol)...haven't been brave enough to get orange though in case it looked like I had a mouthful of cheetos. Like SD said, have fun!

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

I am 42 year old and I have metal braces. Damon 3 on top and 3MX on the bottom (the top have a small amount of ceramic - but they still look like metal).

There are no colors as damons are self-ligating and therefore do not require ligatures.

catfish

#6 Post by catfish »

I got braces quite a while before I discovered this site, so I didn't know there were options. My ortho told me he uses self ligating metal brackets, so that's what I got. I don't know that I would have picked anything different though, even if I'd known. I figure he's the expert, so I'll go with what he recommends.

I didn't get to play with colors since these brackets don't use ligs. But I got my first ever powerchain, so I now have the option to go for colors! I picked gray for my first powerchain because I wasn't ready for the change. But I think next time I'll go for pink or turquoise!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

macgirl4ever

Advantages to Metal

#7 Post by macgirl4ever »

My first time around, I had ceramic and I was in the ortho's office every other week because they were not strong enough for my crazy wacked out teeth. This time around is more difficult. I love curry. I love coffee. I love tea. I have high self esteem (which no kid at age 13 ever has). So, I sport metal!

stacy19201325

#8 Post by stacy19201325 »

I'm 25 and wearing metal braces. I haven't gone for colored ligs yet, only gray. They are almost the exact color of the metal, so they really aren't noticible and don't stain.

Skysi

#9 Post by Skysi »

I've got ceramics on top and metal on bottom.

I normally stick with clear ligs on my ceramics, purples blues and greens on my metals. I tried red once but at a glimpse it looked like blood around my teeth :shock: So i stay clear of that now.

Had a friend that had full metal, and she would go crazy on colours and even bring the colour sheet to uni and ask us for an opinion.

Another friend had self ligating brackets.
on 20th March 2008

got them off 9th November 2011

(3 years 7 months 2 weeks 6 days)

jxds

#10 Post by jxds »

I'm 29 and in full metal, since I got Damons and my ortho does not use those half-ceramic damons, I'm in full metal and not regretting it at all. I did care at the beginning, now I couldn't care less.

Since my braces do not have ligatures, I don't play with colors -not sure I I would anyway...

Megan11

#11 Post by Megan11 »

I am your age and I have metal damons. I decided at the very last minute to go ahead with the damons, instead of the ceramic, because the financial advisor looked at me and said, "honey I know how girls your age are if your not planning to drink RED WINE, soda, eat spaghetti than get clear, but if you are go with the damons." She made a good point.

The one thing I like about having metal is that I don't have to worry about colors of foods/drinks. And think about invisalign...every single time you want to much on something, have a sip of a drink you have to take out the aligner...and somtimes you are in situation where it wouldn't be appropriate to do that.

As much as I look at people with invisalign and ceramics with envy time to time, I wouldn't change my mind.

P.S. I took a benadryl so sorry if this makes no sense at all, ha I'm feeling like a zombie while writing this.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

beth1966

#12 Post by beth1966 »

I'm not braced yet - but just wanted to add, if your worried about staining - there are self ligating brackets that don't require the ligatures that stain. I think most do have a bit of metal where the arch wire locks in - but if your looking for a non all-metal look, you might consider self ligating ceramic.

miss25

#13 Post by miss25 »

my brace date is 4/20 and I plan to get full metal. kind of wondering if I should do ceramic though, even though metal will be faster and all my friends keep telling me to get metal because ceramics make you look like you have yucky teeth, and they feel its better to just look like I have braces, even at my age. So........I guess I will be a grown woman with a full metal mouth :roll: