New user - question about eating "normal" foods

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rachellerachelle

New user - question about eating "normal" foods

#1 Post by rachellerachelle »

Hey everyone. Decided to use this excellent resource for some feedback. I am wondering how long everyone had "tender teeth" after bracing and when you were able to get back into more normal food.

I have severe crowding and had 8 spacers and my front brackets put on on March 4, 2009. March 5th and March 12th I had 3 teeth pulled each day (3 wisdom and 3 bicuspids). March 18th I had most of the spacers removed and molar bands placed (except for one quadrant where my wisdom extraction site hadn't healed). So today is March 26th and my upper jaw has been "finished" for a week and my lower jaw has 2 spacers still and they will come out next week and molar bands placed.

Basically, I have been on a soft foods diet for over 3 weeks, and I am just curious how long it will generally last. I will be travelling a lot for work in April and won't have access to my staples of smoothies, mashed potatoes and soup. Really looking forward to eating somewhat normally again soon.

Thanks for any feedback!!

Rachelle

braceasourus

#2 Post by braceasourus »

Hey,

I have had my braces for almost a month now and i still cant really eat totally normally. I eat chicken sometimes but even that hurts. I am going to CA for work next week so i feel your pain. i do eat a lot of soft veggies and fish because thats easy to chew.

Good luck!

marycotter5678

#3 Post by marycotter5678 »

Hi. I have ha my braces for a month now. The first 2-3 weeks my teeth were very sore, chewing anythign was painful. But then one day it went away I think it was around the 3 week mark.. now I eat pretty much what I ate before except I cut up harder and bigger foods like apple, burger.
I am trying to enjoy this time because my adjustment is coming up and I hear the teeth go back to being sore after that =/

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

Lingualita

#4 Post by Lingualita »

This seems to vary a bit from person to person. As for me, I've been very lucky what eating concerns. I was able to eat as normal within one week after having the braces. Let's hope it goes fast for you as well :)

Rachel B

#5 Post by Rachel B »

I could eat normally about a week after getting my braces on. I couldn't eat normally at all until the spacers came out though.
:D :D :D

59fifty

#6 Post by 59fifty »

took me about a month or so

even then my teeth r still tender and sensitive

i avoid food i ahve to bite into like sandwhiches n burgers

sometimes i even cut them up to eat with my side teeth

also after my wires are replaced are the best times to eat because the teeth feel tight and stronger

stacy19201325

#7 Post by stacy19201325 »

I was eating normally after about 8-9 days, with some tenderness when I tried to eat crunchy foods. It's been 2 weeks now, and I'm eating anything.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#8 Post by blindboarder2008 »

marycotter: best of luck with your next adjustment. yes the teeth do get sensitive and a bit soar again but it shouldn't be nearly as bad as when you first got your braces on! You may just have to stick with softer foods for a day or so!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

bb

#9 Post by bb »

Even if you have one upper and lower molar that is not too sore, you can eat normal foods by cutting it in small pieces and chewing it with those molars. You will be using your other teeth somewhat and this will help them get used to the chewing and the pain won't last as long.
This is what I do about 3 days after each adjustment.

Skysi

#10 Post by Skysi »

I remember not being able to put any pressure on any of my teeth for 2 weeks, and from there on i could only mush some stuff with my back molars. (as it was, i was mushing everything with the back of my fork, pasta and rice included!)

Took about a month before i could do anything that resembled 'normal chewing' :P
on 20th March 2008

got them off 9th November 2011

(3 years 7 months 2 weeks 6 days)

rachellerachelle

#11 Post by rachellerachelle »

Thanks everyone. It is getting a bit better, but still not great....between the tender teeth and bizarre bite issues I seem to have developed! But I am finally going Wednesday for my final brackets to be added (which were delayed due to wisdom teeth removal).

I have had spacers in my bottom jaw now for 4 weeks! Maybe that is some kind of a record! :D They probably are a source of some pain, but I honestly can't tell anymore!

I am off to Rome this weekend for a conference so will definately enjoy all the pasta dishes for a while!

Rachelle