GUMMY SMILE.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SNAGGLEbeGONE

GUMMY SMILE.

#1 Post by SNAGGLEbeGONE »

DOES ANYONE HAVE A GUMMY SMILE?
I HAVE ONE, AND I'LL BE GETTING BRACED ON MAY 18TH.
I'M THINKING THAT AFTER I GET MY BRACES OFF IN WHO KNOWS HOW LONG, THAT I MIGHT NOT BE HAPPY WITH IT BECAUSE I HAVE A GUMMY SMILE.. IT'S NOT OVERLY GUMMY. JUST SLIGHTLY.

SO. DOES ANYONE HAVE A GUMMY SMILE THAT IS HAPPY WITH THERE SMILE NOW THAT THEY HAVE STRAIGHT TEETH?

I DONT' KNOW IF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE. I'VE JUST BEEN THINKING ABOUT A LOT OF TEETH LATELY, AND THIS CAME INTO MIND.

Andromeda

#2 Post by Andromeda »

Well I'm not done with treatment yet but almost (just another month or 2 yet) and I had a gummy smile to start with. I heard orthodontics can treat the gummy smile sometimes but mine seems to have gotten worse. My front teeth all needed to be pulled down some, especially my canines which were up way too high, so now there's even more gum showing. I'm going to wait and see what my smile looks like once the braces come off and if I don't like it I am really considering getting the laser gum contouring where they laser off some of the gum tissue. I think it's kind of expensive though and I'd need it on all the teeth in my top arch so we'll see.

SNAGGLEbeGONE

#3 Post by SNAGGLEbeGONE »

IT GOT WORSE?! OH MAAN.
YAH. I WAS READING ABOUT THAT STUFF THEY CAN DO TO YOUR GUMS.
BUT THAN I THINK I WOULDN'T LOOK LIKE MYSELF.
LIKE YOU. I'LL WAIT UNTIL I FIRST GET THEM ON, HEHE. AND THEN I'LL WAIT UNTIL I GET THEM OFF. TO SEE IF I LOVE MY SMILE. I'LL WORK FROM THERE... I'VE ALWAYS FELT LIKE I HAD A 3RD LIP IN PICTURES OR SOMETHING. SO I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE ELSE WAS SELF CONSCIENCE (sp) ABOUT THAT ON TOP OF THEIR NOT SO STRAIGHT TEETH. YOU KNOW?

Andromeda

#4 Post by Andromeda »

I like how you said you felt like you had a "third lip" bc that's really what it's like. I can control it if I don't smile really wide but it sucks because if I am really happy then I want to smile my normal smile and not worry about what it looks like - especially after I get my braces off. I don't want to STILL be self conscious about smiling after all this time/money/pain to have straight teeth.

I think the braces sort of cover up most of my teeth though so the gums look way more prominent with the braces on. I heard a lot of people when they first get their braces off think that their teeth look huge (bc they've been covered up for so long) so I'm hoping that will be the case with me too.

Megan11

#5 Post by Megan11 »

Don't hide your smile! I actually find smiles that are more "gummier" attractive. I wish more of my gums showed when I smile, luckily my braces are starting to change that. Before you could not see any of my gums at all and It made my teeth look really small.

We all want what we don't have, right?

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal