Wisdom teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tommm

#16 Post by Tommm »

Ok I just got back from getting two wisdom teeth pulled. They were not impacted so more like an extraction than surgery. The novacane shots hurt but the actual extractions were painless. I felt woozy and light headed after though so try to get someone to take you and drive you back. I'm so glad that a friend offered to take me! Got home, took an advil and now I'm feeling totally fine. Sucks that I can't eat, drink, or brush my teeth for 24 hours though (well I can eat but only broth or something). I'll keep you updated but it wasn't as bad as I imagined Magster. Hope that helps :)

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#17 Post by blindboarder2008 »

ya i hated not being able to brush my teeth for the first 24 hours but it ended up being okay cause i slept for most of that time after so it was all good. I'm dreading the fact that its going to be really hard to brush my teeth after my jaw surgery (I go crazy when my teeth get dirty cause they feel gross) so its going to be interesting.

They gave me tylenol 3's after but I had to stop taking them cause it was screwing around with my stomach and just made me feel worse so I switched over to advi (400mg) and that seemed to work out fine.

If you decide to get your wisdom teeth out it really isn't that bad. I worked myself up a bit and then found it to be not as bad as I had imagined but I know where you are coming from because its something unknown and you don't know how your going to feel after or what to expect to feel like. best of luck!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

hal2me

#18 Post by hal2me »

Hi Maggie,

I can only offer insight to question #2. The removal of my wisdom teeth did cause my teeth to shift. This is part of the reason why I am wearing braces now. My wisdom teeth were removed when I was 23. I had all four out at once. My dentist told me for years I didn't need braces. 11 years later at the age of 34, my dentist informed me that I did in fact need braces now.

Overall, you need to do what's best for you at this time. However, think of how much work you will have put in to straighten your teeth to have a slight chance that your teeth may shift after the surgery.

Please keep us posted on what you decide! :lol:

Take Care!

magster

#19 Post by magster »

Thank you everyone for the responses - now when I asked about the possibility of my teeth shifting if I get my wisdom teeth removed - all I needed to see was the post from you hal2me -

this is exactly why either sometime later this year I will get them removed.

With my luck my teeth would shift after removal of the wisdom teeth, maybe not much, but better safe than sorry.

and Tomm... glad everything went ok!
I would prefer to be put to sleep because the last thing I want to hear is the sound of teeth cracking out of my mouth.
ouch

and I cant stand novacane for anything overall I just hate dentists lol
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

rachellerachelle

#20 Post by rachellerachelle »

Just a note that my ortho said the wisdom teeth had to go for sure, but I had the choice of doing it before or after braces. It didn't seem to matter one way or the other.

I decided to get my 3 wisdom teeth pulled at the same time as 3 other pre-molars that needed to come out due to over-crowding. So 6 teeth pulled within 1 week of getting my 8 spacers put in!! I am not sure what was causing the pain, as it all blended in after a while. But I am an absolute panic-freak about needles and dentist stuff, and I survived. Just make sure you have the right painkillers (I did not and when I tried to "self-medicate" that just made it way worse). I had a little swelling for a few days, and a bruise that stuck around for a month.

Good luck, no matter what you decide to do.

Rachelle

kilikena311

#21 Post by kilikena311 »

my dentist always numbs me up with topical stuff and then I can't even feel the shots. Definitely ask your doc if they can do that if you are not a fan of those shots.

magster

#22 Post by magster »

oh they numb me up with the topical stuff.. but I JUST HATE it .. sometimes there is still a bit of pain :(

sooo ya..
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

Tommm

#23 Post by Tommm »

I had the topical stuff too but the shots made my nerve feel like they were being shocked electrically, especially on the bottom tooth. It's been two days since the wisdom teeth got pulled and it never was too bad. Just missed eating on the first day but now I'm eating soup and mashed potatoes. Good times :)

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#24 Post by blindboarder2008 »

ah the good old soup and mashed potato diet. fun fun, well at least with soup you can create lots of different variations. I lived off of chicken and veggie soup for the first few days after I got my wisdom teeth out. it was sooo good. The only thing is the first few days it was really hard to chew the meat so i just made sure to cut up the chicken really fine that way i wouldn't have to worry so much! Just don't be like my friend and eat chicken SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM right after (lol ya she was hungry and that all she was craving and she was still on the pain killers and we all know what that does to our thinking) long story short she ended up getting dry socket cause she couldn't get the food out of the extraction sites but luckily she got it cleared up. Oh gotta love pain killers for that!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!