Will I be headgeared after extraction?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emilio

Will I be headgeared after extraction?

#1 Post by emilio »

To begin with I am adult (wow!) already into my 5th month of braces. I thought I had past the most painful pre-op period after having some surgery to reduce the split between the two upper teeth until.... I heard two of my upper teeth were going to be removed 6 months later :-(

I am not really very thrilled about having 2 teeth removed, in fact I get extremely nervous at the dentist and had to submit to orthodontic treatment out of medical necessity.

I do have some questions I have not yet been able to ask my O. When those two unlucky teeth get forcibly retired from active service there will be a large space empty on both sides. In my case the upper jaw where I have a (large) overbite (requiring orthognatic surgery sometime next year).

I am wearing Damon braces but it is not clear to me whether I will be required to wear an (embarrassing) headgear or what. My orthognatic surgery will be to move my LOWER jaw forward some 9mm.

Any hints? what can I expect? I do have "tubes" installed but so far I have not been required to be headgeared.

How does that work really? I guess IF I would be required then it will hopefully be at home when I sleep. The problem is I usually sleep on my side, preferred belly down but that is bad for my back and face up makes me snore and sleep bad.
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Only the orthodontist who is doing your treatment can answer that question. Usually most orthodontists don't like to do headgear on adults unless it's absolutely necessary.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

emilio

#3 Post by emilio »

Well I hope not but I won't know until my next appt. in June. Anyway probably not because the brackets are very low on the front teeth and the HG is not supposed to touch them, pfew!

On the other hand I guess my biggest worry is the actual big surgery (I guess HG is nothing compared to that).

Anyway, may the good smile be with us at some point in the future :-)
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010