The braces are on and I feel miserable!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blossom

The braces are on and I feel miserable!

#1 Post by Blossom »

Top and bottom, damon 3s. No elastics yet but boy do I look weird!
I am having trouble talking and I feel SO self concious!
One good thing about getting braces on as an adult instead of when I was kid? WINE.

I am going home to have at least 2 glasses of red wine tonight!
This sucks! :(

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#2 Post by blindboarder2008 »

congratz on getting your braces on, but sorry to hear you are feeling so miserable, but know you are not the only one who has felt this way when they got their braces on. In time you will get used to the braces and it won't seem as bad anymore. I know i know your probably think "ya right" but give it a bit and it should be better. Just think about how wonderful of a smile you will have afterwards once you are all complete!!!!! Best of luck with your braces journey and know that you are not alone in how you are feeling. things are bound to get better.

In terms of the speaking part, that happened to me as well. I formed a bit of a lisp and it annoyed the heck out of me. It eventually got better though. Keep us posted
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Blossom

#3 Post by Blossom »

Thank you. Will do.
:) Apparently I will notice changes very quickly. I am looking forward to this.. but mostly I am looking forward to getting these things off my teeth!

Le

#4 Post by Le »

I had a lisp too.. it only lasted about 4 days though!
I totally know how you feel. I am 10 days in, and only now am I starting to feel comfortable showing ppl my braces! It gets easier

magster

#5 Post by magster »

Congrats on getting braced! but it definitely gets easier.. the moment I got mine (both top and bottom on the same day) all I kept on saying to myself is I cant wait to get these things off!!
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#6 Post by blindboarder2008 »

ya sometimes ppl notice change quicker then other, it all depends on your teeth and how moveable they decide to be:) best of luck and know we are all here to get through it together!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Blossom

#7 Post by Blossom »

Thank you everyone. It's good to be reassured it wont always be this bad. Woke up with a very sore mouth today. Seems to be some sort of concrete on the bottom and in between my top teeth? I can't bite down because of it and it's really uncomfortable? I can see it in the mirror if I open my mouth. Any ideas on what this stuff is? Does it come off?

Day 2 here I come!
[/url]

brainkneeak

#8 Post by brainkneeak »

I've noticed that too on my teeth. Brushing remove a little at a time. Hang in there. I've been using warm saltwater rinses and lots of ice cream to soothe my mouth.

bstars

#9 Post by bstars »

Hi Blossom,
i felt the same on first couple of days, but soon i got comfortable among colleagues, by telling them myself.. and once you start feeling the movements in you teeth you look froward to more.. & it all starts to get positive after that unless its hurting some where some times :) there will be few complaints, lots of patience, but good results at the end.

Now when i talk to people, i think if earlier they have thought that i have bad teeth, now they can see i am getting them fixed, so its better than having those bad teeth for ever, and many more years to live why not with a better smile, and be proud of your decision. i just keep on talking to people about it... like i completed 2 weeks today, or i can't chew an apple anymore, or its sore today.. whatever.. just talk about it so people think that yeah we are not conscious in having those, i felt the need, its my descision.... and they really don't care :)

emilio

#10 Post by emilio »

Blossom, congratulations on your new journey towards a comfortable smile. For so many years I smiled without showing my teeth only because they were out of place.

Like you I took the plunge with Damon braces (see my blog for more details). The first days were the most painful, also after the wire is replaced so it is better to take some pain medication and something cold when the pain is too much.

Keep in mind that the Damon system is heat activated so if you have a few hot drinks (tea, coffee, etc.) during the day then it will do its work just fine. I noticed changes within the first 4-8 weeks already. I had them on Nov. 2008, then first follow up at the end of Dec. 2008 with new wires replaced and will have my next (again wire replacements plus extractions) in June/July.

The problem with the lips is common, it is horrible the first week when even talking and smiling is painful but after that the lips get used to it. Since then I seldom have problems with the lips (sometimes I do).

In the beginning your speech may be a bit screwed up :-) Also keep in mind that carbonated drinks and alcohol are not a good idea because they may slowly affect the bonding of the brackets to the teeth. If you live close to your ortho no problems but I live very far from the clinic so to me it is not an option when a bracket falls...

Don't worry, there will be times when you will want to have them removed but do not despair! Check my blog for some good tips about the dental hygiene toolbox that has made my life easier with braces.
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010

TigerLily

#11 Post by TigerLily »

LOL, I told my ortho the other day I hope the braces come off soon as braces have turned me into an alcoholic. Way too much red wine.

raychno21

hey

#12 Post by raychno21 »

Hey Blossom, I've only had my braces on for 5 days and at first it was so uncomfortable and i was so miserable! but honestly it has got a lot better over the days and I can eat easier now, on friday night went out for my sisters birthday and got drunk and i forgot my braces were there for the first time since i got them, was so nice! Hang in there! xx

Blossom

#13 Post by Blossom »

I have to agree it seems like alcohol gets rid of the scratchy feeling inside my mouth. :)
My mouth still feels pretty uncomfortable and tight, especially in the mornings but I am taking less painkillers and eating things other than just soup. I am really over soup!!
I get big smiles from teenagers that have braces too which is nice.
Oh to be a teen again!
:?
[/url]