2 days in braces and miserable

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raychno21

2 days in braces and miserable

#1 Post by raychno21 »

Hello, I 'm new here, what a great website i've been feeling quite lonely for the past couple of weeks as I am 20 and no one i know has braces!

I got my braces put on 2 days ago and just feel so miserable, My mouth is full of ulcers from where the metal is rubbing on my lip and cheeks and my mouth has swollen up, I sound stupid when i talk and its very very painful when i eat. how long will this last?! I don't think I can put up with this for 2 years! And any tips for what I can do? I have put the wax on some of the metal bits but it still rubs and is sore :(

princessT

Also 20yrs old

#2 Post by princessT »

Hi im also 20 n had braces for a few months now.So ur not alone i asure u. Whatever pain i felt wen i 1st got braces went away in a few days and only cumz up again wen i hav adjustments.The 1st few wkz i usd alot of wax coz my mouth needed sum time to toughen up and adapt to the new apliance in my mouth.My mouth used to be cut up and sore.Bt it al goes away.Xcpt 4 wen i wake up in the morning,it stil flz weird against my inner cheeks.Bt ul hardly notice it in time.I dont evn use wax at al now.As for the efct on ur speech,i cnt help u there coz dt nevr hapnd to me.I do hv a slite lisp sum ppl say,bt i stil dnt c it. Also,slite sweling is normal i think,n mine went away in abt 1 to two weeks.Neway gudluk. N dont stress,u wil get usd to it i promise. .

cathykay

#3 Post by cathykay »

Hey, I'm 20 years old and in braces too.

I know it's hard to believe but your mouth will get used to the braces. Does you mouth feel dry? If it does, the dryness isn't helping your mouth feel any better so in addition to the wax, use lots of chapstick and keep hydrated.

I had a lisp when I first got my braces on but it went away. I don't remember exactly how long it took for my lisp to go away, but I know that it didn't take very long. It was sort of like one day it just disappeared.

What have you been trying to eat? Stick to no-chew soft foods for the first few days until your mouth adjusts. Here are some soft food suggestions from this website: http://www.archwired.com/soft_foods_category.htm The eating thing can be the biggest pain in the butt, I know. But you will be back to eating real foods soon. Personally, I find biting into anything uncomfortable so when I eat pizza (as an example), I cut it up and eat it with a knife and fork, instead of biting into it.

I hope you're feeling better about the whole thing soon!

Ceramic on the top, metal on bottom

My Braces Story! (with pictures!)

Zephyr

#4 Post by Zephyr »

Hi Raychno21, welcome to the board! Sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time with your braces, I've only had mine for a month now and it's getting better.

when I first got my braces (I have ceramic upper and lower) someone here recommended this braces guard thingy, it clips on to the brackets and stops your brackets tearing up your mouth. I have to say it's the best thing ever, i don't even use wax anymore, just clip that on and i'm happy!

http://www.dentakit.com/cocoforbr.html

you can get them for both metal and ceramic braces - hope it helps!! :D

raychno21

hey

#5 Post by raychno21 »

Hey thanks guys for your speedy replys feeling better already And i just ordered one of those brace guards! what a genius idea! Thank you so much for showing me that site.

Megan11

#6 Post by Megan11 »

Hi Raychno21! I am 20 years old also :D It's funny I hardly ever see anyone my age with braces but there seems to be quite a few on this site so that always makes me feel better :D

I promise you it gets better. I can remember when I first got braced thinking that I would never make it, too painful, too annoying, etc. But, I survived and I am glad I stuck it out because my braces don't bother me nearly as much now.

Good Luck and try some warm salt water rinses for those sores!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

hal2me

#7 Post by hal2me »

Hi raychno21,

You are probably sick of hearing this, but it does get better. Your mouth will get used to the braces. I got braces at the age of 34. I've had them two months now. Believe me, I had moments the first couple of weeks where I was thinking, "What the hell do I do?"

My advice is eat plenty of soft foods, take Aleeve or Advil, and buy some Anbesol. The Anbesol helped me with the mouth sores. Milkshakes are great because the cool liquid feels great in your mouth. My husband laughed at me once when were in Target because I was seriously considered buying a teething ring for myself to chew on!

Hang in there, it does get better!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#8 Post by blindboarder2008 »

Megan11 wrote:Hi Raychno21! I am 20 years old also :D It's funny I hardly ever see anyone my age with braces but there seems to be quite a few on this site so that always makes me feel better :D

I promise you it gets better. I can remember when I first got braced thinking that I would never make it, too painful, too annoying, etc. But, I survived and I am glad I stuck it out because my braces don't bother me nearly as much now.

Good Luck and try some warm salt water rinses for those sores!
good suggestion about the warm salt water rinse, it really does do the trick and help relieve some discomfort!! best of luck!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

magster

#9 Post by magster »

hi!!

well since everyone else decided to post their age I will too. IM 22! :)
braced for a month and 6 days as you can see.

OHH and let me tell you even though you dont want to hear it.. it gets better over time..

but then again.. my situation my teeth were really sore most of them the first week and a half and then it got better then about a week ago different teeth started hurting and I was :(
Now i have my first adjustment tomorrow and well.. Im sure its going to feel like as if I just got braces all over again because 1. certain teeth still hurt and 2. if he changes the wire tightens it (whichever?) then others will go back to hurting!

I CANNOT WAIT

NOT!
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

delilah

#10 Post by delilah »

Awwww, you'll be okay. It takes a few weeks to get used to braces, but (I'm going to sound hard hearted here) remember, you have got a ways to go -- we all do/did -- so we learn to suck it up and just deal with it.

You'll learn the tricks...soft foods, Advil or Aleve, wax, etc. And as you see progress -- WOW -- that is the thrill to keep motivated. :)

I'm 45, have had them for 14 months and have a few more months to go...soon you will be close to finished too!

Hang in there.
Del

P.S. Eating kiwi helped heal my mouth sores...it was recommended by a friend and it seemed to help...oh and use that wax!!

markGl

#11 Post by markGl »

I'll hop on the bandwagon with the age's im 23 here

MrMetalMouth1029

#12 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

And since we're spitting out our ages, I'm 26 :D

I've been braced for six and a half months now. Time goes by so fast! There was discomfort and soreness the first few days. However, after the first week or two, it goes away. You will adjust. Just remember to floss and brush properly. I had to remember to look out for food that got stuck on my brackets after eating, lol.

I only used wax the first month or so. After that, my mouth adjusted. Beforehand, though, my mouth took quite a beating and I probably have permanent scars, but it's all good. The braces are doing their job! Good luck and get ready for a nice transformation!
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

hadfield

#13 Post by hadfield »

Hi,

I am 38 and have had braces for 3 weeks and 1 day . The first week I thought what have I gotten myself into and seriously considered calling the orthodontist and asking him if he could just pretty please take these things off and maybe I should just go with the teeth I've got. It hurt when I bit down on anything, my teeth did not meet in the back to properly chew food, it felt like I had barbwire in my mouth, and I felt like ugly Betty from the TV show.

Well, at about 2.5 weeks it did not hurt to bite down at all (got better day by day) and for the most part it does not feel like the wires are poking me (expect for one place). It has gotten easier and I have gotten a little more used to them. I would say give yourself 2 -3 weeks. One night I took the whole container of wax and put the whole think in strips across the front of my braces :D. Rinsing with warm salt water helped the sores heal faster also I think some of the sharp edges that are so square and pointy at first have slightly worn down and they seem to be a little more rounded after 3 weeks.

So anyway I just want to say I so know what you are going through.

raychno21

thank you so much!

#14 Post by raychno21 »

Hey guys thanks so much for all your replys i feel so much better, i have plastered wax all over my braces now and that has made it a lot better and i've been eating things like bananas, porridge and soup. Its so nice to feel i'm not alone with this so thank you so much!

raychno21

#15 Post by raychno21 »