3 years and no end in sight!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wazza

3 years and no end in sight!

#1 Post by wazza »

OK...so I have had my braces for 3 whole years, where initially, my ortho said it would take 1.5 years. It is a bit deflating and I just want them off.

Last month, he said he would take out all the power chains and just leave the wires their for a month and if it doesnt move after a month, he can take my braces off. I go in today and my front teeth have moved, making a little gap in between my front teeth. So on go the power chains again and after another month, the power chains will be removed and we repeat the process where we see if it has stabilised.

How long have you guys had your braces for? I have never heard of anyone having it longer than 3 years. And from the looks of where im heading, i think it might be a grand total of 4 years for me.

lovey4

#2 Post by lovey4 »

Initially we anticpated 2 years but I'm now approaching 2.5 years. My top teeth have all moved into place so the power chains came off and I have wire only at the top while the power chains continue to do their stuff at the bottom. I have a similar problem with the gaps and shortly after removing the power chains the gap between my front teeth started opening again. My ortho plans to put a permanent retainer in when the braces come off. Maybe that option might work for you??

Andromeda

#3 Post by Andromeda »

I know several people who've had their braces for 3 or more years. I have a friend who had to have braces for 7 years and had to wear headgear and the whole bit. He has really nice teeth now... I know it must be so frustrating for you but yes there are others out there who are going through the extra long treatment time too, for one reason or another. I know there are people on this board who've had them for quite some time as well. I don't really know what to say except that I'm sorry you are in that category but just remember that they WILL come off at some point and you will have decades to enjoy without braces. Hope you hear good news soon.

24KSmile

#4 Post by 24KSmile »

Hi Wazza,
I can relate to your frustration completely. I had my braces on for 3 years and 7 months, way longer than the 2.5 years estimated. I've had them off for 6 months now and believe me, it is well worth the wait. It's hard to remember what the braces felt like so hang in there a bit longer!