Can braces fix my problem (pics)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kittenmaisey

#17 Post by kittenmaisey »

Personally, I think your teeth are lovely. you have a wide, full smile.

Wouldn't fix anything that isn't broken!

lianas

#18 Post by lianas »

After orthodontic treatment my daughters teeth slanted like this too. It drives her crazy and shows up in pictures that she has a slanted mouth. When i would bring this up to the ortho he would say the only way to fix it was through surgery. never gave us any other options so we finally took off the braces anyway. We went through her pictures before braces and though you can slightly see it in her pictures it is way more pronounced after braces. It will be interesting to see your progress pictures and how long or short this could take to fix.

treetornkee2

#19 Post by treetornkee2 »

Thanks kittenmaisay, but there's always room to improve :D Lianas, im sorry to to hear about your daughters situation. I'm in the exact same situation as your daughter. I had braces when i was in my teens and never really noticed anything wrong with my smile. The reason i got braces were to make room for a baby molar which was trying to goal. After creating room it was too late and it was no longer growing. I followed orders and went to the oral surgeon to get it removed. I think this was when my problems started. For the next year they applied a lot of pressure in that area to move my teeth together. I believe this is what caused my teeth to shift up and rotate. They were not able to move it all the way and there was still a gap. At the time i was fed up with braces. I was on them for about 3 years total and to be honest i didn't even know that my teeth weren't even straight until about a week after i got them taken off. The problem seemed to have gotten worst over the next few years, probably because i didn't wear my retainer. It was frustrating cause I believe that my previous braces caused my teeth to become this way. If I knew this was going to happen I wouldn't haven't gotten braces in the first place. My current orthodontist also believes this was the cause although he is unsure. Lianas, did your daughter have any teeth removed? Even wisdom teeth? How complex was her orthodontic treatment. I can understand sometimes for major movement that things might not come out perfect, but my teeth were not even bad before getting braces on my first time. I spent all my years at college being unhappy with my smile so one day I just gave in and got them again. Before I thought I was going to be embarrassed about them but after a few weeks I just stopped caring because ultimately this treatment will make me happier. When I had my consultant with my orthodontist he was extremely honest with me in telling me that this was a new procedure and there could be a lot of bumps on the road. He did however tell me that there are some different ways to approach this and he would try every possible way without oral surgery. I made it clear that this was not an option for me. He mentioned that if they dont straighten out he can leave some of the back molars and such behind since those really cant be seen. This should make it a lot easier to move the rest of the teeth. I think these TADs will work though. From what Ive read online they have been very successful. I think the treatment could go extremely fast depending on the orthodontist. Some like to take it slow and will use less resistance where others just want to get their patients done with. I actually wouldn't mind a speedy treatment. I'm going to tell them to make all my TAD chains and wire really tight next time.

lianas

#20 Post by lianas »

my daughter was very close two a class 1 on both sides had a bit of a deep bite. she had a small gap between front teeth she didnt like. Thing is ,through out treatment we noticed thing were starting to slant. He said there was nothing we could do about this. She regrets braces and now holds her hands in front of her mouth when she smiles. I don t think its that noticable but i can definately see it and if it was me it would drive me crazy to. Was hoping there would be an easy solution to it she was in braces for 2 and a half years and doesnt want them again any time soon. I think in the future if she changes her mind and i can see they can successfully fix this I would let her do it. She doesnt want to end up in braces another 2 and half years.

lianas

#21 Post by lianas »

Sorry I forgot to tell you she did not have any teeth removed.

lianas

#22 Post by lianas »

Her wisdom teeth havent come in yet she is 15 years old.

treetornkee

5-22-09 Progress

#23 Post by treetornkee »

Hello, its been a few months since ive had my TADs in and I just wanted to show some progress pics

Before: http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w204 ... C02849.jpg

Right after TAD implants: http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w204 ... G_0513.jpg

And this is current progress after a few months of having the implants:
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w204 ... G_0600.jpg

I didn't realize how much progress has been made until I actually took photos and compared. I think the bottom row has progressed significantly, the top has noticeable improvement but still needs a lot of movement. Ive only had the TAD bands tightened twice so far since my appointments are pretty far apart. They are gonna start bringing me in every few weeks now though to tighten them more often. Usually I can only feel a strong pull on them for a few days. They are also only using bands for me rather than stronger pulling devices like metal springs and such. The place is pretty high class compared to other orthodontist so they seemed to be very concerned about patient comfort. I will continue to update as time passes.

charlsie142

#24 Post by charlsie142 »

Hey there- just saw your post, so if my comments are a little late, I apologize. Your progress so far is amazing!

I actually was given the option of TADs (to fix an open bite as well as overjet and overbite) by one of 3 orthos I consulted. I decided to go the extraction/surgery route because of one concern with TADs: stability. I just wanted to ask you what your ortho had to say about the stability of the changes you'll achieve with TADs? Like you, I had braces previously, so I didn't want to go down this route again in another 10 years. I wish you all the luck, and again, GREAT progress!

treetornkee2

#25 Post by treetornkee2 »

Hey charlsie142, my orthodontist said that moving things slowly will result in better stability. Im sure they could have moved in in a few months but im sure ill have TADS on for at least a year. I think a retainer afterward will keep the changes stable.

charlsie142

#26 Post by charlsie142 »

Treetornkee2: Thanks for the response. The ortho I had consulted with about TADs had only used them in adolescents (and they were successful), but he was unsure how things would be 10+ years down the road. I've had braces before and wore my retainers until I grinded through them about 10 years later. Obviously, I'm grinding due to problems that weren't fixed the first time around...so that's why I decided on the surgery route. I'm sure your orthodontist has more experience with TADs in adults and that they will be perfectly fine, plus a lot cheaper/less scary than surgery. :) Definitely keep us posted on your progress with them! I wish you all the luck!

lianas

#27 Post by lianas »

Hi I wanted to say thanks for the message I replyed twices but i think I did it wrong. Your pictures look really good for such a short time. Can't wait to see the end result. Glad you found someone who knows how to do it. I dont think there are many out there.