Getting Re-Braced after 7 months

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gottaplaygamz

Getting Re-Braced after 7 months

#1 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

Hey Guys,
Anyone else have this problem? Got my braces off in December after having them on for 2 1/2 years. Recently went to my dentist and mentioned that my back bite is off. He told me I need to see the Ortho because I have an open bite in the back and could end up with TMJ if not fixed. Went to the Ortho and he told me back in braces for 6 - 8 months.
Ugh! :cry:

Full Metal Uppers and Lower on June 16 2006
De-Braced December 2008

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but glad you brought this up to your dentist who referred you back to the orthodontist. How did the open bite in the back occur - did it happen after your braces were removed?

Did you get your braces placed on your teeth yet? I hope it all goes well!

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Gottaplaygamz

#3 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

ssfw The open bite occured while in braces. ( I never had a problem with my bite in the back before braces ) I had mentioned that I was having trouble chewing and was told by one of the assistants that I shouldn't worry it would correct itself. I assumed it would and never mentioned it again. (I should have). I thought it will take time for my teeth to settle in. After 6 months of this I knew it was not right. Braces go back on on August 11th. Thanks so much for asking. :)
Joan

De-Braced December 2008

bluegirl

#4 Post by bluegirl »

This may be a stupid question but I've seen TMJ mentioned several times around here...what does that mean?

Thanks (I'm new...obviously LOL)
Braces (uppers & lowers) on: 8/3/09
Sentence: 2 years

Gottaplaygamz

#5 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

Bluegirl,
This is just a general description.
Several things can cause TMJ

Joan

Temporomandibular Joint and Muscle Disorders (TMJDs) refers to a complex and poorly understood set of conditions that can cause pain in the area of the jaw joint and associated muscles and/or problems using the jaw.

De-Braced December 2008