What is a "stable" bite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blueeyedboy

What is a "stable" bite?

#1 Post by blueeyedboy »

If I understand it correctly, a stable bite would be one that doesn't change without external forces being applied. In other words, 10 years from now it looks the same as it does today, unless you do something to force it to move.

That being said, requiring a retainer for the rest of one's life (even if only at night) to keep the bite in its corrected position seems to imply that no bite is stable - that without some external force to keep it in place, it will naturally drift.

Am I missing something?

classII

#2 Post by classII »

Sounds right. Though if you work it backwards, you'll see why some of us have braces; that is, most people have a certain degree of malocclusion but not enough to require correction.In those case their bites are stable even if not 100%. That is they can't get worse. Outside that certain degree we then have "us" :lol: those with classifiable malocclusion such as class 1 2 3 etc. Where moving the bite to 100% or under, within that certain degree of acceptability, requires the braces. And because it so off as to be classifiable, it needs the retainers forever in order for them not to move back to where they were.

dentalguy

#3 Post by dentalguy »

What if you throw jaw surgery into that equation? If someone has a considerable overjet due to mandibular retrognathism and has their lower jaw moved forward surgically does stability increase considerably? I would have thought the addition of surgery to the treatment would have dramatically improved a ten year outlook even without the use of retainers. However, I was reading something recently that claimed even surgery can relapse.

cvn

#4 Post by cvn »

dentalguy wrote:What if you throw jaw surgery into that equation? If someone has a considerable overjet due to mandibular retrognathism and has their lower jaw moved forward surgically does stability increase considerably? I would have thought the addition of surgery to the treatment would have dramatically improved a ten year outlook even without the use of retainers. However, I was reading something recently that claimed even surgery can relapse.
Indeed it can. Mine has relapsed twice. It's highly dependant on the skill of the surgeon because the jaw is a very difficult joint to work with, but even the best surgeon can have an occasional relapse.