Hydrogen peroxide for canker sores...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RamboSally

Hydrogen peroxide for canker sores...

#1 Post by RamboSally »

Hi all,

Do any of you personally use a home remedy using hydrogen peroxide for canker sores?

The reason I would like to know is because the OTC mouth washes such as Colgate Peroxyl or Orajel Antiseptic, the first ingredient is HP 1.5% and the rest of the ingredients are basically fluff. It is a heck of a lot cheaper to utilize a 92 cent bottle of HP and mix it with H2o!

If anyone uses HP/H2o instead of the OTC stuff, I would love to hear about your experiences and what the parts are that you use.

I am a little scurred because I just heard of Black Hairy Tongue today, so I definitely don't want to get that! :oops:

I look forward to hearing any feedback y'all may have!

Take care!
RS
:P

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Sorry, I don't have anything productive to contribute, but I just have to tell you that I'd never heard of "Black Hairy Tongue" so I Googled it.

I really wish I hadn't done that.

I don't think I'll ever get that image out of my head.

Are you sure it isn't just a fictitious Hex out of the Harry Potter books?

RamboSally

#3 Post by RamboSally »

TumbleDryLow wrote:Sorry, I don't have anything productive to contribute, but I just have to tell you that I'd never heard of "Black Hairy Tongue" so I Googled it.

I really wish I hadn't done that.

I don't think I'll ever get that image out of my head.

Are you sure it isn't just a fictitious Hex out of the Harry Potter books?
LOL! You are too funny! :-* I didn't know what the heck it was either, so I, too, had to Google it. Definitely some scary stuff! :shock:

As for the out of the Harry Potter book thing, I must admit that I am probably one of the only few people in the Universe that hasn't read Harry Potter! Well, besides my husband anyway! So it could very well be a fictitious hex from one of those big books! Ha! :wink:

Either way, I sure don't want to get it! It's really strange because my mother thinks it's a good idea to rinse w/HP but I've never seen her w/a black hairy tongue! Guess I'll have to give her a warning with one of those pretty little pics! :twisted:

But I'll tell ya, I think that home remedy HP rinse works because I'm doin' good 2day in regards to the canker sores being absent. And plus, that's the primary ingredient in these OTC rinses, so there must be something to it!
:frogbraces:

kilikena311

#4 Post by kilikena311 »

I also had to google black hairy tongue :shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes! On the plus side it didn't seem that the HP was a primary cause, maybe that's why the rinses with HP say not to use them for more than X number of days or whatever.....still YIKES :shock:

RamboSally

#5 Post by RamboSally »

kilikena311 wrote:I also had to google black hairy tongue :shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes! On the plus side it didn't seem that the HP was a primary cause, maybe that's why the rinses with HP say not to use them for more than X number of days or whatever.....still YIKES :shock:
Yes, the instructions do say not to use more than X number of days. That being the case, I don't quite understand when people say they use it "all the time" to prevent cankers how they get away with it. I'm too paranoid. I'll just do the home remedy rinse "as needed"! :wink: NO BLACK HAIRY TONGUE FOR ME!

uvraise

#6 Post by uvraise »

Just wanted to give my two cents. For the canker sores, rinse with warm salt water two to three times a day for two to three days, it will help get rid of the canker sores and give some pain relief. I also use peroxide, everyday, twice a day for about the past 27 years. I have never experienced anything remotely close to black hairy tongue! So rinse away I say!
JOHN

dentalguy

#7 Post by dentalguy »

Hey, I've just had this and didn't know it! :shock:

More than a month back I thought I'd dose myself with Corsodyl (UK brand, called Perio something in the US, I think) mouth wash as it treats gum problems - the main ingredient is chlorhexidine digluconate. Anyway it said on the label that it may cause non permanent staining of the tongue and sure enough mine turned yellow, then green and ultimately black.

Two weeks ago I had to get my mouth checked out and, needless to say, I supposed that the state of my tongue wouldn't look so good; so I stopped using Corsodyl. Fortunately, in the weeks since, the black went, then the green and now the yellow is going - you can actually scrape it off at this stage - eww! Funnily enough (or not, depending on your squeamishness) what remains does look kinda hairylike when viewed up close in a mirror. However, it's all beginning to brush off.

I really should have taken a picture of my tongue when it was at its blackest - with the light you probably wouldn't make out the yellowness now. I have to say I think it would be funny if Corsodyl were to put the following warning on the bottle...
Possible side effects:
Corsodyl can have side effects, but not everybody gets them.

*Temporary staining of the teeth.
*You may notice a change in taste or burning sensation. This usually goes away with continued use.

*May cause temporary black hairy tongue, mwa ha ha ha
At least the staining wasn't on the front half of my tongue - that would have been embarassing. But I quess I'll one day be able to title my autobiography 'Mike Xxxx: the highs, the lows and my black hairy tongue.'

RamboSally

#8 Post by RamboSally »

Thanks to all for your input. Good thing @dentalguy has a sense of humor! And very interesting that @uvraise has rinsed w/peroxide twice a day for 27 yrs & hasn't had any issues w/black hairy tongue!

I am using a salt water rinse. But I will say that when I use the peroxide on the canker sores, they disappear, almost instantly! I, however, do not have the courage to use it daily. Yes, I am a chicken! :shock:

I should have used BLACK HAIRY TONGUE in my post title. Bet that would have grabbed people's attention! LOL! :lol:

Y'all take care!

RS
:-}