Should I get braces with my twin 13 year old daughters?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

schoolhousepunkrock!

#16 Post by schoolhousepunkrock! »

Great! My 13 year old son and I are both a month into this. I never had them as a kid and wanted to get it done. So far we are able to have our appointments at the same time which also saves me time away from work.

Kristiana

#17 Post by Kristiana »

Good luck! :) Are you going to get clear braces or metal braces?

Fashionvictim

Haven't decided

#18 Post by Fashionvictim »

Trying to figure out what is best for the girls. Any thoughts would be welcome. I have to decide Monday.
[/url]

dblaney

Re: Haven't decided

#19 Post by dblaney »

Fashionvictim wrote:Trying to figure out what is best for the girls. Any thoughts would be welcome. I have to decide Monday.
I'd go with metal. They are alot easier to maintain and don't look quite as gross when there fulkl of food which is inevitable. There also usually smaller than the ceramic variety.

bracedat44

#20 Post by bracedat44 »

I would go with metal for the girls. I have ceramic with metal slots on top and am getting all metal on the bottom next month. My son went all metal, they are smaller and more comfortable, he has not needed any wax at but I used tons of wax with the ceramic (they are bigger and poky).
click www for my story

iBorg

#21 Post by iBorg »

When I first started this topic my mind was to post that this is something you need to do for yourself not others. There will be good times and bad with braces. Most of us have gone through more than one occasion when we've thought why did I start this? Fortunately as we progress we normally are happy with our progress and excited to see the final result. Of course when we're near the end of our treatment we become quite anxious for it to be over.

I have had both ceramics and metal. I had issues with the ceramics staying on (a true rarity) but have found metal to be more comfortable. I think you'd find metals much less noticeable than you expected. They always are more visible to ourselves than others. I have been amazed by friends who have looked at me in the past few months who have asked me when I got my braces. My response is normally "Uh, two years ago......" Still if kept spotless, the ceramics tend to disappear except for the archwire.

Which one to go with, metal or ceramics? Ask your ortho for their recommendation. If they don't have one, ask yourself whether you'd prefer comfort or looks.

Good luck. This can be a good thing. Try to enjoy it.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

uvraise

#22 Post by uvraise »

Go for it! I did! I got the 1 week after my 7 and 10 year old did. I'm also 39 years old, almost 40. After only 5months, my teeth are just about in their final resting place, so worth it! My ortho gave me a family discount of almost $3K! Good Luck!
JOHN