Small cover at the end of the wire broke off...what do i do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pricklypear

Small cover at the end of the wire broke off...what do i do?

#1 Post by pricklypear »

I just got my braces put on this week and while removing the wax (the dough you use to put on to the braces to protect your cheeks) the cover at the end of the wire broke off. So now the end of the wire's exposed without its cover. Do I need to have this replaced immediately? Does this affect the pressure the wire puts on the teeth?

Thanks

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

You mean the tube the wire fits into on your molar?

Yeah, if that's broken, you need it replaced or there will be no pressure on that tooth and will prolong your treatment time.

Call the orthodontist's office and tell them what happened and they will probably ask you to come in.

pricklypear

#3 Post by pricklypear »

hmm I dont think it's the tube as the cover was never part of the molar and nothing has been detached from my molar. But I am referring to a very small cover at the tip of the wire that has broken off from the wire.

Thanks

[/img]

Audra

#4 Post by Audra »

Then I'm sorry :( but I don't know what you mean. I have never had any kind of cover on the tip of my wire.

Jewles

#5 Post by Jewles »

I think I know what you mean. Is it just a tip at the very end of your wire? I believe all it does is stop the wire from poking into your cheeks so if it isnt hurting or bothering you I wouldn't worry about it :)

pricklypear

#6 Post by pricklypear »

thanks!

drrick

#7 Post by drrick »

probably just a comfort aid placed over the end of teh wire. Not critical to get back in if not bothering you in that case
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Takako

#8 Post by Takako »

I wish I'd had those! Nope, never had anything placed over the ends of my wires. But my ortho bends them around so they can't poke.