Closing extraction gaps?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tlkiser

Closing extraction gaps?

#1 Post by tlkiser »

Hi all - I had extractions back in Feb and was braced in March with Nance appliance. Uppers only until July when lowers were added. Since then ortho has been focused on correcting my overbite and I've had big gaps where I used to have teeth. At my last visit he said that by my next visit they'll be ready to begin closing the extraction gaps. I go back on Wednesday and am curious about how they'll close the gaps.

So, what can I expect? What methods are used to close extraction gaps? I'm glad that they're going to work on closing the gaps, as I'm really tired of looking like a jack-o-lantern!

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

Closing gaps normally for adult patients seem to fall into three categories, powerchains (most common), springs (when powerchains don't work) and closing loops. The closing loops seem to be favored by some orthos but overall it seems everyone ends up with powerchains at ome point.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Quirky Girl

#3 Post by Quirky Girl »

I had my two upper premolars extracted and my ortho used a combination of closing loops and springs. It took about 4-5 months for the gaps to close.[/img]http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/ ... g#comments

Quirky Girl

#4 Post by Quirky Girl »

Here is a picture of the spring and closing loop to give you a better idea. Good luck!

crazybeautiful

#5 Post by crazybeautiful »

My gaps were closed (and in some cases, created) with springs alone. I've never had a powerchain on (have self-ligating braces if that matters). The springs have always worked pretty much straight away, but they generally take a bit of time to fully close a gap
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

Jewles

#6 Post by Jewles »

I had 8 months of powerchains to close my gaps, and my teeth hurt every single day of those 8 months :lol: Not anymore!

iBorg

#7 Post by iBorg »

Quirky Girl:
Can you explain how closing loops work? I've got a space that hasn't closed in almost a year. I'm a bit ready for closure.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

Quirky Girl

#8 Post by Quirky Girl »

On the bottom of the loop, where the two pieces of wire come together, the insert a shim and pull the wire tight through the buccal tubes to activate it and as the loop closes so does the gap. I'm sorry if I didn't expain it well, let me know if you didn't understand and I will try again.

Quirky Girl

#9 Post by Quirky Girl »

I found a picture with the loop activated that my help you understand my (terrible) expanation. Let me know if you need more information.

iBorg

#10 Post by iBorg »

That makes sense. The loop acts a lot like a spring.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

Takako

#11 Post by Takako »

My gaps are being closed with powerchain. For me, it generally only hurts the day or two after the new chains are put on. I also have metal figure-8's around my lower teeth to keep their arch nice and round. On the top is just straight powerchain the whole way round. I only have two more gaps!

Each of my left gaps took a month (aka one visit to the next) to close. My right side gaps are bigger though, and with another appointment coming up and my lower gap not closed yet, I think I'll have to wait another month. But hopefully my ortho single-loops the top gap anyway. She doesn't like to tie patients in "too tightly" so we'll see.

Oh! One more thing... the first few days I had powerchain on, it hurt as bad as when I first got on my braces! But it went away. I'm glad I haven't been in pain for the most part!

tlkiser

#12 Post by tlkiser »

Thanks everyone! Had my appt this morning - my ortho put in closing loops. It's only been about 1 1/2 hours since my appt and I can tell my teeth are going to be sore! Worth it to get the gaps closed though. :)

The bright spot of today - he removed the Nance appliance that I've had for about 9 months now!! It feels so good to have that gone!