Self-ligating braces - open door on one of the brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pricklypear

Self-ligating braces - open door on one of the brackets

#1 Post by pricklypear »

I have self-ligating braces.

After my adjustment last week, I noticed that the bracket door on one of my teeth was open so that the wire on that tooth is exposed, as opposed to other teeth, where the wire is covered off by the closed door.

I dont really feel pressure or pain on that side of my mouth. Not sure if it's the open door that's causing the problem.

I have 6 weeks until my next appointment. Is this a significant enough problem to come in for a repair?[/img]

pricklypear

#2 Post by pricklypear »

Pics uploaded. It's the tooth on the bottom. next to the canine.

Audra

#3 Post by Audra »

Having the door open will mean the wire is not working on that tooth, which will mean treatment delays.

You can try to push the wire back in yourself and close the door. If that does not work, you should call your ortho and have them do it.

amandabrown

#4 Post by amandabrown »

I would just make a call to your ortho and find out if the door was meant to be left open on purpose or not. If it isnt then they should have you come in and close it for you. In the second pic it looks like the wire isnt even in the bracket all the way...and yeah that means that tooth is not getting any tension put on it at all. But they may have left it open intentionally for now, who knows?

I do also have to add that your camera is AWESOME!! I have tried numerous times to get close ups of my teeth and my camera just sucks too much I guess! LOL

drrick

#5 Post by drrick »

I'd call the doc.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

spatrick

#6 Post by spatrick »

Yes, call!

I recently had a spring between two teeth, to open up a space. The pressure popped open one of the bracket doors, the spring pushed back too far, and one of my "good" teeth ended up being twisted around.

It put me three weeks behind, as the ortho had to drop down a wire size to get the tooth back in position. Could have been avoided if I had gone in after noticing the door was open!

It's a quick fix, too: five minutes in the chair.

pricklypear

#7 Post by pricklypear »

Thanks all.

Made the repair appointment..altho the receptionist wasn't able to tell whether I really needed to come in.