Cleats from Hell...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jex

#16 Post by Jex »

Yeah, today is my 5th day. I hadn't thought of vodka! :lol: I will give it a couple more days, but then that's it. I don't have crossbite problems and he didn't say anything about tipping a molar, so maybe those puppies can come off!

Question: I have rather large fillings in my lower molars; I am assuming this is why one must use bands rather than brackets?

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!

Jenna28

#17 Post by Jenna28 »

I would ask your ortho about why you have molar bands - different people need them for different reasons. I currently have four (I only have uppers right now), and will be getting four more on the lowers in a few months. I was told that I need them b/c I'm going to have surgery, and they need "complete control" of my arches ,but some people get them for other reasons...

jubba

what is?

#18 Post by jubba »

may i ask what these cleats are?

will i have them too?

Naranja

#19 Post by Naranja »

i know what you mean

i've been braced a year, uppers only, and my ortho didn't wanted to take the cleats off because he said he may use them later in treatment
i still get my tongue caught, and sore

i'm still waiting for the lowers... those have cleats too?? :cry:

bbandef

#20 Post by bbandef »

I've had my braces since 12/7/07. This is my second time as an adult (last time was 15 years ago, didn't wear the retainer).

Where is the cleat located - on the inside of the tooth or outside? The inside of my cheek is being gouged by the metal protuberance on the outside of the bracket on my molar. I use wax, but that is a pain when eating.

BB

bbandef

#21 Post by bbandef »

Thanks Merayten. I think the water-hydration thing is part of the problem. I noticed my skin and lips are dry.

yo

#22 Post by yo »

Resurrecting this thread.

Is anyone else having problems with cleats or seating lugs?

My ortho has tamped them down flat but they still bug me a LOT. My tongue is raw on the sides even tho I have put wax on the cleats. I'm trying to get used to them, but after two weeks I'm still whining!
:oops:

Bracy

#23 Post by Bracy »

:D Yo, I was looking for you! I wanted to check back to see how you are doing, since we started our braces journey on the same day. When I went in today I got 4 metall bands and the two top ones have these thingies on the inside that bother me like crazy. I am sure this is what you are talking about? The feeling of this is unbearable right now, had to put some wax on the lower outside of on of the bands. Do we have to live with these things for the full treatment time? I'll go crazy. They aren't even connected to anything at the moment. Maybe I'm just not understanding what they are there for.

02/01/2010 Braced Top and Bottom
03/09/2010 Extraction #12, #16
03/26/2010 Secondary Molar Bands and new wire
09/13/2010 Power Chain Top and Elastics (3) to fix cross-bite and open bite
10/25/2010 Power Chain removed and new Elastic constellation (2) to fix over-bite

TumbleDryLow

#24 Post by TumbleDryLow »

My ortho put "bumpers" around the cleats. Basically they are thick ligatures. While it didn't make the cleats completely unnoticeable, it did cut down on the worst of the scratching. Ultimately, like everything else, you will get used to the cleats being there (I don't notice mine at all anymore) but it really sucks in the beginning.

Cleats are not used by everyone but they are always on the bands just in case you do need them. I think they are mainly used for crossbite elastic configurations. If you are not correcting for this, maybe your doctor can snap them off completely. Worth asking.

yo

#25 Post by yo »

Hi Bracy!

Sounds like you are having as much trouble with the bands and cleats as I am. I went in once and asked them to adjust the cleats by smashing them down. the next week I sent my husband in to get some more wax for me.

I did ask them to remove the cleats but they told me that the Dr needs them. When I go back in for an adjustment I'm going to tell them to take off the cleats and GIVE them to the Dr if he needs them so bad!

jambo532

me too

#26 Post by jambo532 »

so glad someone else is having this problem... well not glad sorry. But yeah still killing me. I have a hole... literal hole in the side of my cheek. Been waxing it everyday but man what a pain in the butt.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

Bracy

#27 Post by Bracy »

It's the same here, it's day 3 with those bands now and I feel like i am going crazy. I put so much wax in my mouth, it's unbelievable how i run through it now. I am covering the inside ones on top and inside and outside on the bottom. My cheek is very angry right now! The wax gets all mushy too because it's so far in the back, it's not funny. I randomly pick out little pieces of wax here and there, i could do without it. I just took the wax of the top inside ones, just trying to get used to it.

Hopefully it will get better in the coming days. :-((

02/01/2010 Braced Top and Bottom
03/09/2010 Extraction #12, #16
03/26/2010 Secondary Molar Bands and new wire
09/13/2010 Power Chain Top and Elastics (3) to fix cross-bite and open bite
10/25/2010 Power Chain removed and new Elastic constellation (2) to fix over-bite

yo

#28 Post by yo »

Bracy, it could have been me writing your post. I feel the same way. I try to get used to these nasty things. But then I get raw on my cheek and tongue so I have to put wax on just so it can heal.

All of a sudden today my cheek is raw again. I'm still not good at putting the wax on so that it stays put.

danz23

#29 Post by danz23 »

Three days ago I got a band with cleats on one side, because I had a lingual button come off. The button was replaced but that one came off as soon as i got home and had something to eat so I had to go in again the next day and they put on the band. I know what you guys mean, I can usually get used to stuff pretty quickly but i'm having trouble eating and stuff, even really soft stuff! The hook on the new bracket (cheek side) seems huge but its not cutting my cheek up too much. Its my tongue thats the problem! I preferred the lingual button, and feel pretty lucky that i've still got the one button on the other side! Wonder how long I'll be wearing them.... (I have a crossbite). Can't ask ortho to cut them off because I am wearing elastics on them.
Treatment by a Cosmetic Dentist:
1/3/07-22/11/07: removable appliances
22/11/07-10/2/09: Innovation C on uppers
8/1?/08-10/2/09: Innovation R on lowers
Ortho:
25/2/09-29/8/11: Clarity brackets