Has anyone else developed dry skin UNDER thier lower lip?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

camdog

Has anyone else developed dry skin UNDER thier lower lip?

#1 Post by camdog »

Since I had my braces put on I've had dry lips which is fair enough and understandable.

Now however I have a constant dry, sore section under my lip which stops just before the botom of my chin.

I just have to keep applying vaseline 24/7 and if I dont it just comes right back, and drys up with cracked skin/rash.

Anyone else have this and know of a fix??

avy

#2 Post by avy »

OMG, i have this as well! It comes and goes but at the moment i have a patch of dry skin just under my botton lip on the right hand side. I asked my ortho about it but she hadn't heard of it before. When I went to my doc for something else i mentioned this and he said the only way to fix it is to leave it alone - dont put anything on it, not even vaso. That seems to help but it still wont clear up completely. I have also tried anti-fungal creme to no avail. Any suugestions would be helpful! It has been hanging around for the whole 4 months i've had braces.

peach

#3 Post by peach »

Same here. I've got 2 small dry spots under my lower lip (positioned under the corners of my mouth). I thought it was from all the extra rinsing and brushing after meals and snacks...I started using a glass of water to rinse out my mouth and trying to avoid getting my chin area damp when using my waterpik. I was also using a little a&d ointment on those spots...while it hasn't gone away completely, the areas are these red. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

kilikena311

#4 Post by kilikena311 »

Maybe you have a toothpaste allergy? Some people are allergic to different brands which can cause different problems around your mouth. Maybe because you are brushing more with the braces, the toothpaste is more irritating? Just throwing that out there. :)

gary

#5 Post by gary »

I've got a dry, chapped spot on the corner of my mouth. Very annoying, and unsightly. I ended up dabbing a little cortisone on there, and it's helped a little. Sucks though....

camdog

#6 Post by camdog »

avy wrote:OMG, i have this as well! It comes and goes but at the moment i have a patch of dry skin just under my botton lip on the right hand side. I asked my ortho about it but she hadn't heard of it before. When I went to my doc for something else i mentioned this and he said the only way to fix it is to leave it alone - dont put anything on it, not even vaso. That seems to help but it still wont clear up completely. I have also tried anti-fungal creme to no avail. Any suugestions would be helpful! It has been hanging around for the whole 4 months i've had braces.
Since I've tried everything else I might try this.

I'll just leave it totally alone for the next day or so and see what happens, it's gonna be dry and sore as hell though! :(

Steph in Sac

#7 Post by Steph in Sac »

Maybe you are drooling more at night due to the braces...or something? Anyway, my daughter gets extremely dry below the lower lip because she licks her lips when they're dry. I use Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream and it works wonders!! (Grocery or drug store) It is greasy feeling like vasoline, but is more of a lotion. It clears it up completely in two days. Best of luck.

camdog

#8 Post by camdog »

Steph in Sac wrote:Maybe you are drooling more at night due to the braces...or something? Anyway, my daughter gets extremely dry below the lower lip because she licks her lips when they're dry. I use Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream and it works wonders!! (Grocery or drug store) It is greasy feeling like vasoline, but is more of a lotion. It clears it up completely in two days. Best of luck.
Yeh I've got some of that exact stuff!! I'll give it a go in a few days if leaving it alone does'nt help first. Thanks!

avy

#9 Post by avy »

kilikena311 wrote:Maybe you have a toothpaste allergy? Some people are allergic to different brands which can cause different problems around your mouth. Maybe because you are brushing more with the braces, the toothpaste is more irritating? Just throwing that out there. :)
I think you're onto something! Since getting braces the toothpaste seems to dribble out of my mouth a bit and its usually around the exact spot i have the dryness, so last night and this morning i made a concious effort to keep everything in my mouth and i have to say the dryness would be at least 50% better this morning already! I'm going to keep this up and see what happens over the next few days...

camdog

#10 Post by camdog »

avy wrote:
kilikena311 wrote:Maybe you have a toothpaste allergy? Some people are allergic to different brands which can cause different problems around your mouth. Maybe because you are brushing more with the braces, the toothpaste is more irritating? Just throwing that out there. :)
I think you're onto something! Since getting braces the toothpaste seems to dribble out of my mouth a bit and its usually around the exact spot i have the dryness, so last night and this morning i made a concious effort to keep everything in my mouth and i have to say the dryness would be at least 50% better this morning already! I'm going to keep this up and see what happens over the next few days...
Hmm, interesting, will defo try this then, however its been dribbling down my chin since October when i was braced but only just started becoming dry.. regardless I'll try anything now lol..... It is getting abit better by just leaving it alone mind... we'll see.

avy

#11 Post by avy »

wow... my dry lips are almost gone :banana: the 'not letting toothpaste drool out of your mouth' option is working! I cant believe it was that simple... thanks for your advice

kilikena311

#12 Post by kilikena311 »

I'm glad it helped :lol:

felicia

#13 Post by felicia »

I do not have dry areas around my mouth, but I do get some kind of tiny, tiny blisters on my lips. At first I thought my lip balm did that (it was Chapstick brand, all natural, made with 5 natural butters). My lips were covered with those little blisters, and they were very itchy. I switched to Nivea, and everything went back to normal, no more blisters....until a while ago when I started getting the blisters again, not that many, but on smaller areas on my lips.
Now I wonder, is it my lip balms that are doing that, or is it something else?
Should I switch to another brand?

camdog

#14 Post by camdog »

Thanks for all the sugestions people. However, my girlfriend reccomended using Sudocrem.. I did and it worked an absolute treat, completely gone within 2 days :)

haywire

#15 Post by haywire »

my whole mouth is dry since i got braces :(
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.