Metal Mouth on March 4th

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DogGroomer

Metal Mouth on March 4th

#1 Post by DogGroomer »

I am a 37 year old and I'm getting braces on the 4th along with my 12 year old son. He has the expander in and seems to be taking it all in strides, however, I"M FREAKING OUT!! HAHA.. I am obsessed with this website and it seems like it's taking over my free time as I try to learn everything there is to know about braces. My son made a comment last night that I need to chill.

My top teeth are pretty much straight but my bottom teeth are all jacked up so I originally wanted to just get the bottoms fixed along with some TMJ issues I have. I took my son to the Ortho and ended up in the chair after his appointment, and got fitted with a bite plate to correct the grinding. He also did a quick consult on the crooked teeth. Now as it turns out I'm sucked in and decided to go for it..fix my teeth, but there isn't room to put the brackets on the bottoms unless I do the top first. I'm getting the top done then the bottoms 2 months later after there's room. He said the whole thing would take 10-12 months. I've decided to go with metal. Why not...you can see them either way. I want the crazy colored ligs, too. I'm super excited but also very nervous.

Steph in Sac

#2 Post by Steph in Sac »

I am pretty obsessed with this site too. My favorite are the before and after photos. Anyway, you'll be so glad that you did it. I was excited to get them, nervous the morning of, and glad soon after. They are fine and the way time flies, they will be off in no time. Best of luck to you and your son!! (At least you can sympathize with his initial discomfort.)

Vieve25

#3 Post by Vieve25 »

I am very excited and nervous too!!! time is going by so slowwwww. i go in for my 2nd consult to review the molds and xrays that were taken last week. I feel like a kid waiting for christmas or something.... haha!
-Jennie (Vieve25)

Diagnosis:
-Class II division II type malocclusion
-Severely deep overbite
-Upper Left Permanent Cuspid is Impacted
-Midline deviation

Treatment Plan:
-Full banded appliances
-Lower lingual arch
-Extraction of upper left deciduous cuspid
-Re-evaluate the need for extraction of upper left first bicuspid
-Exposure of the upper left permanent cuspid will be necessary

Estimated Treatment Time is 24 months

appygirl82

#4 Post by appygirl82 »

I say this with kindness: Eat EVERYTHING that you love now, and enjoy brushing your teeth while it lasts!! Lol....

Really after you are used to the braces you can eat almost everything, BUT its no longer fun :P Ya get to pick food out of them and all that hassle...

Good luck, its going to be rough at first but it really does get better. After about the first week it really improved! :wink:

nuttynat

#5 Post by nuttynat »

After the inital discomfort (and pain) wears off about a week or so after you've had you braces on, you'll wonder why you were ever nervous.

Best wishes to you & your son :-)
8/Jan/10 Wired up, but no place to go
4/May/10 Full upper & lower brackets put on