Went to a consultation (ready to take the plunge soon)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

symphonix

Went to a consultation (ready to take the plunge soon)

#1 Post by symphonix »

Hello,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is....Sorry, had the Jay-Z song playing in my head there for a second. I am 25 years old male and I've been wanting to get braces for the last 7 years now, but kept delaying it due to many reasons. Last week I decided to take the plunge since I acquired a new dental plan this year which covers $2000 of my dental work and scheduled some appointments with a couple of orthodontists in Dallas,TX.

Went to the doctor today for a consultation and here are the issues we need to fix:

1. Deep overbite. 0.5mm
2. Crowding of the upper and lower teeth
3. Gap in the two front teeth. They point out and are slightly twisted. He said this could create a slight triangle in the middle after straightening them, but he will do the best he can to make the parallel and avoid it.

He would like to put Carriere distalizer for the first 4-6 months and only have a brace on the first 6 teeth on the top. After this he will put the Damon system braces on the rest of the mouth.

I'd like to get ceramic braces and I was quoted $6980 for the whole procedure. Even with insurance I still have to pay $5000. I am going to get a few more consultations before I decide which doctor to go with. I had a good feeling with their staff and the doctor, but it's a lot of money for me. Does this seem to be a reasonable price for the procedures I am going to get? Also, anyone here from North Dallas and has a recommendation?

symphonix

#2 Post by symphonix »

I can't edit my post and I need to add the fact that I need to have 2 wisdom teeth extracted, he said it was not necessary for the procedure, but I still want to extract them due the the occasional irritation I get there. I also have a baby tooth on the top that needs to be extracted so I am looking at an additional $300.00 to get this done.

fosterp

#3 Post by fosterp »

that price sounds about the average for adult braces

i am paying 8800 for mine

Steph in Sac

#4 Post by Steph in Sac »

I'm paying $2300 for lower ICE (1 year) and was quoted $1900 for lower metal (1 year) and $4000 for total Invisalign (top & bottom, 1 year). I'm in California.

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

I think price depends on where you live. When i was in Little Rock i was quoted 5200 for upper and lower traditional metal. Now here in New Mexico, in a small town outside of base i'm paying 4000 for upper and lower traditional metal. I'm sure if you looked around and got a couple more consults you'd get about the same price quote.
Also, i just got a baby canine extracted and after insurance i paid 114...but that was with a filling at the same time, and tooth colored tends to cost a little more since my insurance doesn't cover that.
It never hurts to got to a few consultations and get price quotes from them.
Good luck.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

symphonix

#6 Post by symphonix »

I live in DFW and I saw on another forum a user that just had the Damon system braces put on for $4500. I sent her a quick IM to find out whom it might be. I've heard different prices from interacting with people in the last couple of days, but I don't know if the orthodontist the speak of is any good. The one I went to today is considered to be one of the top practices in the Dallas area.

daffodil

#7 Post by daffodil »

I think that sounds reasonable, but maybe on the high side. My braces are $12,000, but I live in a high cost area and I'm preparing for surgery, so I assume my treatment is more expensive because my orthodontist has to spend so much time talking to my surgeon.

Keep your receipt because you might be able to get a tax deduction! If your medical/dental expenses equal 7.5% of your income for the year, you can deduct them from for your federal taxes. I just got my braces on last month and paid for everything upfront so I'll be able to do that on my taxes next year.

You should also see whether your employer has any sort of flexible health spending account benefit. With those, you can usually put up to $5,000 in an account at the beginning of the year, and then you submit your medical receipts for reimbursement against the money in the account, which isn't taxed.

symphonix

#8 Post by symphonix »

daffodil wrote:I think that sounds reasonable, but maybe on the high side. My braces are $12,000, but I live in a high cost area and I'm preparing for surgery, so I assume my treatment is more expensive because my orthodontist has to spend so much time talking to my surgeon.

Keep your receipt because you might be able to get a tax deduction! If your medical/dental expenses equal 7.5% of your income for the year, you can deduct them from for your federal taxes. I just got my braces on last month and paid for everything upfront so I'll be able to do that on my taxes next year.

You should also see whether your employer has any sort of flexible health spending account benefit. With those, you can usually put up to $5,000 in an account at the beginning of the year, and then you submit your medical receipts for reimbursement against the money in the account, which isn't taxed.
The insurance that covers this comes from my dental, and I don't use an FSA or HSA type of accounts on my medical insurance. I simply have a monthly premium that I pay. $7000 seems to be very high, but I am not sure if my case is more complicated than others who had it done in North Dallas area or if he is just pricey because he is voted to be one of the best in Dallas. I am going for a few more, but I just not sure how to choose. If anyone here is from Dallas area, please let me know.

jambo532

wow

#9 Post by jambo532 »

wow 8000? that's a lot. I am paying 5000 for mine everything included... But I'm in montana
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

ANGELFLUTTER

#10 Post by ANGELFLUTTER »

I have had a root canal, 2 crowns and 1 extraction - out of pocket for that has cost me around $3000.00. Insurance covered a little over that amount as well. My metal upper and lower braces are going to cost $5,470.00. I think my insurance covers $1200.00 of the ortho treatment. By the time all is said and done I will be spending over $11,000.00 to get my teeth healthy. ( Not doing this for cosmetic reasons ! ) :roll: GOOD LUCK !!! :)

ANGELFLUTTER

#11 Post by ANGELFLUTTER »

I forgot to mention - I live in Southwestern Indiana. :oops:

UGH!NOTAGAIN

#12 Post by UGH!NOTAGAIN »

im in california...and my estimated total came out to 2000 but i got credit care and was approved for 1800 and with the 2000 estimate my monthly payments came out to 181..idk how much they r now..

WOW! i cant imagine having to pay 12,000 for braces!! id buy a new car with that money!

symphonix

#13 Post by symphonix »

Going to another appointment today. We will see how it goes...

evilnel

#14 Post by evilnel »

I think it depends on location and complexity of the problem. My braces were only $3200 in the end, but my case isn't terribly complicated either. And I'm in Kansas, which has a much lower cost of living than most places on the coasts. I would check out some other orthos anyway, but that price doesn't sound terrible.

symphonix

#15 Post by symphonix »

I went to the other orthodontist and here is my observation. The office is not nearly as fancy as the first one I went to. It seems to be like a regular doctors office without the finger-scan login for patients and they don't have their own X-Ray machines that they own and refer patients to the imaging clinic on the 3rd floor of the office building. The doctor's assistant/billing coordinator was not as smooth and presentable as the other one, but she was nonetheless still nice and helpful. Never rushed me and was willing to listen to anything I had to say.

I've realized how high-tech and upscale the first office I went to when I compared it to my dentist, primary physician, dermatologist, and this 2nd orthodontist I visited. Nice leather chairs, flat screen, t-shirts for new patiets, etc. The first doctor is considered to be one of the best in Dallas metroplex and has been featured 3 years in a row in the biggest local magazine. He has also won some kind of award for one of his cases that he treated of a 13 year old girl.

This new office I visited both the assistant and the doctor said that he will make my teeth look great, but he said it may not turn out to be perfect, but very good indeed comparing to what I have now (rotated two from teeth with a gap, crowding, deep-bite). This kind of made me weary of him along with the one negative review I found of him on ripoffreport.com. I mentioned this to his assistant and she talked a bit about it and didn't deny a thing. The doctor was vindicated and the board didn't put this on his record. He is also a know doctor in Dallas, but not as upscale and expensive.

Overall, the doctor and the assistant were both very nice and willing to answer any questions I had. The price is much cheaper than the first doctor I went to. I was quoted $4650 for the whole procedure. Since he is in the network with my insurance, he turns out to be 20-30 cheaper than their regular prices according to my insurance and the office. Without insurance the total price would have been $5700. With insurance covering $2000, I only have to pay $2380 since they also gave me a 10% discount and much more flexible plan. This includes retainers and 2 years post-treatment visits.

Doctor #1: Upscale office with X-ray machines, fingerprint scan login, photo cameras, and other neat gadgets. One of the most famous doctors in North Dallas area.
Treatment plan: Damon System Braces, Carriere distalizer.
Total Price: $6980
Insurance covers: $2000
Payment plan: 50% down w/11 months payments

Doctor #2: Decently sized office. No high-tech new machines or flat screens like doctor #1. They actually have 4 local offices that belong to 4 orthodontists that work together.
Treatment plan: In-Ovation Braces, elastics.
Total Price: $4650
Insurance covers: $2000
Payment plan: $500 down w/20 month payments