Extractions with braces on

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BluelilJ

Extractions with braces on

#1 Post by BluelilJ »

Hello, I wanted to see if anyone has had extractions while having the braces already on. I just got my braces yesterday, which by the way I am still trying to get over the pain on my teeth and gums :oops: , and my ortho says I will need to have 4 premolars removed. He did not place brackets on those teeth, I only have my front upper and lower teeth wired, but I am a bit scared that this is going to hurt more than its supposed to because I already have braces on. Did anyone have to go through this?

trillium

#2 Post by trillium »

I had extractions about a 4 or 5 weeks after I got braces, the wires didn't go all the way to the back untill my next appointment after the teeth were pulled. The wire was replaced with one that went all the way to the back. No problems with the extractions, I'm at about 11 months with braces and YEAH! ahead of schedule. I think that I am starting the finishing stage at my next adjustment next month. Not sure how long that will take or what it will involve. Can't wait to get these braces off though.
04/09/09- Consult, 04/21/09- Spacers in, 04/23/09- Braces on, 06/01/09- Extractions
06/25/09- First Adjustment (new wire, but same size- all the way to bck molars- after extractions)
08/20/09- Second adjustment (same size wire but got Powerchains top and bottom!!!)
10/02/09- 3rd adj (same size wire, new powerchain, started elastics)
12/10/09- 4th adj. (same size wire, new powerchain, same elastics)
02/11/10- 5th adj.

lealicious

#3 Post by lealicious »

I had to get my extractions done at least 4 weeks BEFORE getting my braces. I'm not too sure why, but I think maybe they do things differently in Australia.
10/03/10 - Upper braces
11/05/10 - First adjustment

yj207

#4 Post by yj207 »

I felt like it took forever to get my braces put on. I got a consult Feb last year and then got braces put on in June or something. I don't keep exact dates but had to get cavities filled, teeth cleaned, extractions. I had to wait like a month for the ortho to look at my xrays and molds b/c they wanted to make sure I needed the extractions and with my limited free time I had to schedule on my days off for dental stuff. I didn't know it was quite a process!
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

yj207

#5 Post by yj207 »

lol sorry my post doesn't make sense, wish i can delete it.
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

kvphi

Extractions, no worries!

#6 Post by kvphi »

Hi!

I've had braces on now for about 2 months now. I had my first adjustment on 1st March 2010 and I'm still waiting to have a canine and all my wisdom teeth removed. Don't worry about the pain. You will probably be numbed and gassed up to the eyeballs ^_^;

The pain of an extraction I'm told depends on how easily it was removed. Usually if there is ALLOT of tugging and pulling the area can be sore for an extra couple of days.

I've heard its a good thing to ask for the clove bandage to remain out as this can cause allot of inflamed swelling after - but this varies from person to person.

After your extraction go back to your "Day after i got my braces" diet. That means liquid and very soft foods only. Especially if you are getting multiple teeth extracted.

deano306

#7 Post by deano306 »

I'll let you know Monday next week! :shock:

deano306

#8 Post by deano306 »

First adjustment and extractions! Heeeeeeelllllllllp! lol

Dellyfish

#9 Post by Dellyfish »

I got my braces on a couple of months ago, and I just got 6 extractions done last Thursday. I'm getting the rest of my teeth braced on the 16th. I'm excited to see some movement, but I have a feeling it'll hurt a lot.

deano306

#10 Post by deano306 »

Dellyfish wrote:I got my braces on a couple of months ago, and I just got 6 extractions done last Thursday. I'm getting the rest of my teeth braced on the 16th. I'm excited to see some movement, but I have a feeling it'll hurt a lot.
Blimey! Do you have any teeth left?! He he

Well done you! :)

Dellyfish

#11 Post by Dellyfish »

deano306 wrote:
Dellyfish wrote:I got my braces on a couple of months ago, and I just got 6 extractions done last Thursday. I'm getting the rest of my teeth braced on the 16th. I'm excited to see some movement, but I have a feeling it'll hurt a lot.
Blimey! Do you have any teeth left?! He he

Well done you! :)
I don't feel like I do! 2 were unerupted wisdom teeth, so I really only feel like I lost 4, but the gaps looks so big! Luckily, you can't see the gaps when I smile.

BluelilJ

#12 Post by BluelilJ »

Thanks for the replies guys...I will let you all know how it goes for me, I should be going to my appointment this saturday. Today is my third day in braces and my teeth hurt a little less than the days before. Nonetheless I bought some PM pills so that I can catch some ZZZZzzzzz tonight :lol:

March 1 2010 - Braces On
March 6 2010 - Upper and lower right bicuspids extracted (right)
March 12 2010 - Upper and lower bicuspids extracted (left)
April 5, 2010 - First adjustment
May 3, 2010 - Second Adjustment
June 7, 2010 - Third Adjustment

BluelilJ

#13 Post by BluelilJ »

Ok So yesterday I had some dental work done, doctor filled in 2 cavities and extracted an upper and lower bicuspid. I received 4 shots to numb the area and that didn’t hurt at all and the extractions didn't hurt at all. Once I got home, I drank 3 Aleves and pretty much stayed in bed all day. Had a difficult time eating because I didn't want to disrupt the extraction areas, but managed to drink most of my food :?
Right now it’s been 24 hrs since the extractions and the hole's look ok so far, I haven't felt any pain and hope to God I don't. Next Friday I go in for the next 2 extractions. I really hope my ortho knows what he's doing because these gaps look pretty ugly
:cry:

March 1 2010 - Braces On
March 6 2010 - Upper and lower right bicuspids extracted (right)
March 12 2010 - Upper and lower bicuspids extracted (left)
April 5, 2010 - First adjustment
May 3, 2010 - Second Adjustment
June 7, 2010 - Third Adjustment

Takako

#14 Post by Takako »

BluelilJ wrote:Ok So yesterday I had some dental work done, doctor filled in 2 cavities and extracted an upper and lower bicuspid. I received 4 shots to numb the area and that didn’t hurt at all and the extractions didn't hurt at all. Once I got home, I drank 3 Aleves and pretty much stayed in bed all day. Had a difficult time eating because I didn't want to disrupt the extraction areas, but managed to drink most of my food :?
Right now it’s been 24 hrs since the extractions and the hole's look ok so far, I haven't felt any pain and hope to God I don't. Next Friday I go in for the next 2 extractions. I really hope my ortho knows what he's doing because these gaps look pretty ugly
Man I was a masochist I guess. I didn't take any pain killers, because I thought advil wouldn't be strong enough, and the vicodin scared me. I'm an unaveragely small person (only 100lbs) so pain killers just make me nervous and I avoid prescription strength ones when I can. It hurt as the anesthesia wore off, but after that I only had dull aching. The gaps look ugly but they do go away!!!

VA5

#15 Post by VA5 »

Takako wrote:
BluelilJ wrote:Ok So yesterday I had some dental work done, doctor filled in 2 cavities and extracted an upper and lower bicuspid. I received 4 shots to numb the area and that didn’t hurt at all and the extractions didn't hurt at all. Once I got home, I drank 3 Aleves and pretty much stayed in bed all day. Had a difficult time eating because I didn't want to disrupt the extraction areas, but managed to drink most of my food :?
Man I was a masochist I guess. I didn't take any pain killers, because I thought advil wouldn't be strong enough, and the vicodin scared me. I'm an unaveragely small person (only 100lbs) so pain killers just make me nervous and I avoid prescription strength ones when I can. It hurt as the anesthesia wore off, but after that I only had dull aching. The gaps look ugly but they do go away!!!
you sound like me. i didn't take a single thing for the extractions, or the tads, or the implant surgery. it always hurts a little bit a few hours later, in particular after the implant when the local anesthesia wore off, but it seriously doesn't last very long.. and i'm always glad at the end that i bore through the short amount of discomfort b/c it goes away so quickly after that. i think what's scary is that many peopel take the meds and feel like they have to continue to take them b/c they get a false impression that they'll be in pain for days, and it ends up being so unnecessary for most of the time they're on meds. even after i had my babies, i didn't take meds after the epidurals wore off.