so unhappy - reverse process of being braced?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

themagician

so unhappy - reverse process of being braced?

#1 Post by themagician »

Hi everyone!

I have had my braces off for a couple of months now (i had upper and lower ceramic train tracks.), which were recommended to treat my mild overjet.

However,i am extremely unhappy with the result and preferred my teeth the way they were before and am desperate for them to return to their old positions.

To achieve this is it simply a case of stopping wearing my retainers? The only thing is,i had 2 teeth removed in my upper set of teeth,so dont want to be left with 2 gaping holes if my teeth start moving back to original position.

Any help at all on this would be massively appreciated 'cos its really bringing me down!

thanks in advance :)

magician

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

If you stop wearing your retainer your teeth may move, but not necessarily in the way you want them to. Given that you had extractions, it may be very difficult to get your teeth back to the way they were without implants. I guess my only suggestion is to see an orthodontist and discuss with them why you are unhappy. Only a pro can tell you what would need to be done.

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Can you post some photo's? It seems to me that after the money and time spent in braces, it would crazy to let that all go to waste.

Also, are you just unhappy with the appearance? It is something that bonding or a bit of tweaking can fix?

Did you get the braces to fix a bite issue? Meaning, if you let it go, you will only face the same situation or an even worse situation down the line? Will you regret the decision to let the teeth go back to how they were if your teeth start wearing down or you develop TMJ?

If you can post some photos, maybe we can help you. We all hae the idea of what perfect for us has to be, when in reality, we are just too hard on ourselves.

Have you contacted the ortho to tell him/her how you feel?

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

If you liked the way they were, why did you get braces?
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

VA5

#5 Post by VA5 »

ashesgap wrote:If you liked the way they were, why did you get braces?
good question.

actually i have wanted to ask that same question to many people who post here, it's very interesting.

themagician

#6 Post by themagician »

tumbledry low - thanks for your view. i took it for granted they would simply return back to their original position,is this not the case?

snowglobe32 - will take some pics and post soon,dont have a camera right now you see but will use my phone later! it was my mum who paid,so i am very reluctant to do anything because id feel terrible guilt that her money could have been wasted.the appearance i dont mind,i just feel the U shape of the upper arch is too small and i wasnt told this would happen! i got my braces because of an overjet,but this didnt particularly bother me - i was after greater facial symmetry so was told braces would be the solution. like i said before,im holding off contacting my ortho because i know that any solution will have to be paid for and i will also need to do it in secret so as not to hurt my mother!

ashesgap and vas - i guess some of the above answers your question! before i got braces i was looking for perfection. the things that were wrong with my teeth were minute and i didnt comprehend that getting brcaes would change the way they sit in my mouth the way they do. if i had known/been told about this before i wouldnt have gone near them. I thought it would give me a "perfect" smile and i realise now that my teeth were fine before. i am angry that i was even encouraged to get braces!

thank you all very much for your help and advice.it is much appreciated

supportnaturalbeauty

Love them crooked

#7 Post by supportnaturalbeauty »

I have been banned by the admin for being a troll!

sadpanda

braces

#8 Post by sadpanda »

themagician - I'm just wondering how big was your overjet? I think some overjet is considered normal. I was also wondering why you had two teeth extracted? What problem were they causing? I know you had to have braces to close the gaps, but if you liked your teeth before braces, it seems like the two teeth extracted weren't bothering you either. And finally, who encouraged you to get braces? I've heard that there are a million ways of doing things and different orthos will propose completely different treatment plans. Did you have other ortho consults before deciding which one to go with? Luckily, with me, I had a few consults and the orthos all identified the same problems and recommended the same treatment, except for a minor detail. It was comforting to know that if they were so similar, they knew what they were talking about and I agreed to the treatment. I know you can't change things now, but I just want to understand your story better. Also, if your teeth were not causing you health and pain problems and were not very crooked, I'm surprised someone would encourage you to get braces at all, especially because they are so expensive. Good luck. :wink: