Son's swollen Chipmunk Face- Day 3 of Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DogGroomer

Son's swollen Chipmunk Face- Day 3 of Braces

#1 Post by DogGroomer »

This morning my 12 year old woke up this morning and he looks like a chipmunk. His cheeks and face are completely swelled up. We both got braces on Thursday but mine haven't given me any trouble at all.. they don't even really hurt. He can hardly eat. Have any of you experienced swelling like this? How long did it last? He took advil but it hasn't helped and it's really noticable. If he was allergic to something wouldn't it have happened before now?
Molar pulled- 06/25/09
Implant-01/04/10
Braced- 03/04/10-Uppers
10-12 months of treatment?

Snowglobe32

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Maybe you should post this in the forum for parents with kids in braces.
You might have better luck there.

sauerkraut

#3 Post by sauerkraut »

Not wishing to be alarmist, but I'd get your son checked out pretty quick if I were you. You don't want to risk the swelling closing up his throat.
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Your son could be having an allergic reaction to the nickle in the braces or the latex in the elastic. He shouldn't be having swelling like this. Please call your son's orthodontist immediately.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Steph in Sac

#5 Post by Steph in Sac »

Any updates??!! I have never heard of this happening.

sauerkraut

#6 Post by sauerkraut »

Yes, please let us know how your son's doing, DogGroomer. I've been worrying about him! :(
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

ashesgap

#7 Post by ashesgap »

I have been waiting all weekend to see if your son is ok....so?
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days