why do some people still get braces with ligs?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

essdee

#16 Post by essdee »

I was offered the choice of self-ligating or brackets with ligs. Invisalign was not an option in my case (I'm pretty sure I would have chosen that if it had been), but my orthodontist did give me a quote for lingual braces while at the same time warning me they might not be so effective for treating my open bite.

In my case, my decision was ruled by my vanity and I chose ceramic brackets top and bottom. :HugeGrin: It's early days yet so I haven't entered a regular pattern of adjustment appointments. My first was three weeks; next is four weeks away. I'm sure as time goes on I will have longer between appointments. But I actually quite like regular appointments, at least at the moment. I like the reassurance... and the attention, I guess :P

I think it's great that there's so much choice these days. Everyone has such different requirements and preferences.

beth1966

#17 Post by beth1966 »

[quote="essdee"]
In my case, my decision was ruled by my vanity and I chose ceramic brackets top and bottom. :HugeGrin: It's early days yet so I haven't entered a regular pattern of adjustment appointments.

But did get ceramic brackets with ligatures or ceramic self ligating brackets?

UGHBRACES

#18 Post by UGHBRACES »

drrick wrote:The tongue doesnt get anymore shredded than your lips and cheeks do from outside braces :)
Its just that for me personally, the pain/discomfort of shredded cheeks would be far more bearable than the pain/discomfort of a shredded tongue. I have actually had more issue with my tongue getting nicked by the molar bands than i have the cheeks from the brackets.

essdee

#19 Post by essdee »

Hi beth1966, I chose ceramic brackets with ligs. Ceramic self-ligating weren't on offer. If they were, I think I would've liked the idea of those the best. But it wasn't to be... *sigh* :wink:

drrick

#20 Post by drrick »

Ironically my lingual pts complain more when I have to place an attachment on the outside than my labial pts complain when I add an attachment to the inside.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

jambo532

Not an option

#21 Post by jambo532 »

I live in a small town and the best anyone here had to offer me was ceramic. I barely had that... only one ortho in town that does ceramic. I personally think they are working just fine with the ligs. If it ain't broke don't fix it haha. No but I would have gone the other way if I had the option and the cash.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

gracey82

#22 Post by gracey82 »

Easy answer for me: It cost more hundreds more to have the self-ligating than the one with ligs! Simple as that!

appygirl82

#23 Post by appygirl82 »

My ortho did the self litigating on top teeth free of charge!

beth1966

#24 Post by beth1966 »

gracey82 wrote:Easy answer for me: It cost more hundreds more to have the self-ligating than the one with ligs! Simple as that!
Really?? I had quotes from a # of orthos - self ligating or traditional didn't seem to affect the cost. That is interesting!

wycket

#25 Post by wycket »

There was no difference in price at my ortho's office either -- I went with Clarity ceramic self-ligating uppers, and got Damon Q self-ligating metal lowers due to bite issues. I have been quite happy with both, and like the fact that I don't have to worry about staining! :HugeGrin:

Witchypoo777

#26 Post by Witchypoo777 »

I have metal brackets with ligs and didn't have the choice of anything else. But then again my treatment is part of necessary jaw surgery so I'm being treated under the NHS (I'm in the UK). People in the UK are lucky like that!
Age 40
Crossbite & underbite requiring double jaw surgery
Braces on 11th December 2009
http://wonkygob.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Witchypoo777

yj207

#27 Post by yj207 »

I didn't have the option of self-ligating but I chose simple metal with ligs because its the most common method of getting my teeth straight and since metal ones have been around the longest and used by orthos the most I often been told that it will be the most effective means of getting my teeth in the most optimal position. Sure metals stand out but its only for 2 years or less and I worried getting ceramic would prolong my treatment time if they break (as people that had ceramics warned me.) If I could get clear other kinds of brackets (not ceramic bulky kind) and if costs weren't an issue, I would definitely do so but I am pretty please with what I have so far.
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

Bellalalala

#28 Post by Bellalalala »

My dentist doesn't particularly like working with self-ligating...something about having less refined control, or something along those lines.

I don't know the details, but I think there are different lig configurations that can help control the level of pressure on different teeth.

One of my friends with braces has her ligs in a "figure 8" configuration, which her ortho told her was for increased pressure on certain teeth.

I don't know how that works, so maybe Dr Rick can weigh in.

jackjack

#29 Post by jackjack »

Because I am poor..haha

its like asking why doesn't everyone drive a mercedes benz

drpotter

#30 Post by drpotter »

drrick wrote:Here is another way to spin it...Why get braces on the front of the teeth when you can get lingual braces behind the teeth?
Hey I agree :), that's what I did on the top. I've found them to be more comfortable than the ceramics on the bottom too!

To the original topic, I have self ligating ceramics on the bottom, it wasn't a choice, it's just what my ortho prefers to use. As others have said, I think that's what it comes down to.