Calculus Buildup--any advice?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wirerose

#16 Post by wirerose »

DirtyMartini, Thank you, that is a really good idea. I actually have some for my kids. I will try that and see if it helps.

I really think that it is as he said, the saliva. I think that by drinking more water I can hopefully dilute the problem.

Lisa65, I have been seriously thinking I need to get a dental scaler thing as well. The only question I have is whether you have asked your dentist about scraping it yourself. My cousin, a hygenist, suggested that I not try to scrape calculus from my teeth as I could damage the enamel and make the problem worse. As much as I hate the stuff, I would hate to make another problem.

Thank you for your suggestions. = )

Lisa65

#17 Post by Lisa65 »

I must admit that I haven't asked, although the main reason for that was that my previous dentist wasn't very good and didn't offer hygiene appointments, so it was my way or no way.

I've just started with a new dentist and see the hygienist next week, so I will try and remember to ask.

rkjohnson1969

#18 Post by rkjohnson1969 »

some people actually just get worse calculus buildup than others, and it may not matter at all how careful you are! I've been fussed at by hygenists my whole adult life no matter how carefully I floss!

so, my orthodontist checks me every month and says I don't have any plaque buildup, so I must be cleaning well - but then yesterday they noticed calculus behind my bottom front teeth. they just recommended I start 3 month cleanings instead of 6 month - so I'll go in next week to get sandblasted.

jalapeno

#19 Post by jalapeno »

I noticed around 1 month I was geting a little claculus buildup around the brackets on the front lowers where I have crowding.

I used a plastic scaler (ortho had given them out in a little kit in the beginning) to remove it and since then have been using those little miniature brishes in the picture higher up in this thread to keep it at bay. Every now and then I use the plastic scaler there.

To me your routing seems excessive and you might be in danger of gum recession from it.

I brush 2-3 times a day, gently, use the water pic 2-3x per day, floss once per day, and use those mini brushes about once every other day and the scaler about once per week.

QKate

#20 Post by QKate »

I have to do extra special cleanings due to periodontal disease. I : water pick )lots of gaps at the moment), then brush with rotodent(maybe you could alternate this with your sonicare?) then floss, then- my great periodontist says to pit 1/2 teaspoon of BLEACH into a full waterpick and aim at teeth at 90 degree angle, where tooth meets gum, but not at gum. this helps a lot . I was told by someone else that the vitamin CoQ10 helps decrease plaque

SecondTimer

#21 Post by SecondTimer »

That's a very thorough cleaning routine you have. I had similar issues about four years ago. Once I started using a Sonicare and flossing daily, my condition vastly improved. With the Sonicare, all you have to do is angle it at 45 degrees to the gumline and slowly move it around the arch with light pressure. Make sure you do both the outside and lingual side. Good luck getting this sorted out, as it's no fun getting lectured at the dentist, and must be especially discouraging since you actually do brush and floss frequently.

kypsis

#22 Post by kypsis »

I got my braces 1.5 weeks ago, and had a cleaning two weeks prior to that at the regular dentist office. Now I have already noticed calculus buildup behind my two lower front incisors. This is where my teeth are most crowded, so I wonder whether this new buildup is something that was hidden behind other teeth before and now visible due to tooth movmement or whether it's actually new (can it build up in a month since the cleaning?). My next cleaning isn't for another 5 months - is it safe to wait until then? Or should I call for another cleaning now?

Where can you get the plastic scalers yourself if your ortho didn't give one out? Has anyone besides jalapeno used those things themselves? I do understand wirerose's concern though about damaging the enamel - how likely is that to happen? Has anyone's dentist commented on this?

obxcape

#23 Post by obxcape »

Rose, I havehad my orthodontist tell me the same thing; calculus is building up on my brackets between visits so he suggested that I have increase the dental cleanings every 3 months instead of the typical 6 months. He also told me to use white vinegar on a Q-tip and swab that on the brackets to remove the calculus.

I tried the vinegar thing and, along with tasting horrible, it didn't seem to help. I used a tooth brush with the vinegar instead of the Q-tip hoping to cover a greater area.

An added note: when I told my dentist about the vinegar thing he told me to stop doing that! He didn't see any value in it.

Just for what it's worth...and it would be interesting to see if anyone else has tried using white vinegar for removal of calculus...

yj207

#24 Post by yj207 »

wow this post is old! lol

I heard there is this thing called Xylitol that can help. You can use it as a mouthwash or something.

Clarke, D.E. (2006) Drinking Water Additive Decreases Plaque and Calculus Accumulation in Cats. J Vet Dent(23)2:79-82
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... on_in_cats

Here is another excerpt:

"Plaque accumulations are believed to be the primary cause of gum disease. Tarta (dental calculus) is a hard but porous mineralized plaque that acts as a matrix for additional soft plaque build-up.

The most direct way to control gum disease is by mechanical plaque and tartar removal. Good oral hygiene needs to be supported by a diet adequate in essential nutrients such as protein, vitamins and minerals.

Regular xylitol use leads to lower plaque accumulations. The use of anti-plaque substances does not necessarily guarantee less tartar. For example, chlorhexidine effectively reduces plaque but it can also increase calculus accumulation. Xylitol forms weak interactions with calcium in solution, helping to prevent precipitation. This stabilizing effect of xylitol make salivary calcium available for remineralization of enamel while slowing the rate of tartar formation."
from http://xylitolhealth.com/oral_health.html

I also take calcium supplements for my teeth as well, which was recommended.

Another interesting website
http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/200 ... -care.html

I heard that brushing immediately after you eat is not good for your teeth either, I'm sure there is a post somewhere that talked about this.
"Question:
Should I brush my teeth after every meal?
Answer:
It is important that you brush twice a day with a toothpaste containing fluoride. The best times are before breakfast and last thing at night before you go to bed.

Eating and drinking naturally weakens the enamel on your teeth, and brushing straight afterwards can cause tiny particles of enamel to be brushed away. It is best not to brush your teeth until at least one hour after eating.

It is especially important to brush before bed. This is because the flow of saliva, which is the mouth’s own cleaning system, slows down during the night and this leaves the mouth more at risk from decay. "
http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/lea ... afletID=14

many websites site this
http://www.colgate.com/app/ColgateSensi ... -Meal.cvsp
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

obxcape

#25 Post by obxcape »

Yes! The post IS old! I was searching for a solution to my problem and saw this post and replied to it...then, submitted it, read and then saw that it was 3 years old! I just laughed and figured my input would fall into a digital black hole....gone forever!

Thanks for your feedback though....