Lig colours (colors)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashesgap

#871 Post by ashesgap »

Actually if you go through the pages here a lot of people got colored ligs with ceramics. I think whatever color you want is fine. I'm going with a lighter color to start, then hopefully over the next two years i have more fun with them.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

ashesgap

#872 Post by ashesgap »

Page 55....ceramics with hot pink ligs. looked pretty cool to me.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

tsmurfenator

#873 Post by tsmurfenator »

Better later than never .. here is my green as of about a week ago.

Searching for ideas for super fabulous colors to stand out from the crowd
At this point I'm thinking deep flourescent orange on top and metallic blue on bottom at next appointment.
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

Dellyfish

#874 Post by Dellyfish »

I want rainbow ligs. Like, a different color for every bracket, or at least nearly so. Will they do that, or will the nurse want to punch me?

tsmurfenator

#875 Post by tsmurfenator »

Dellyfish wrote:I want rainbow ligs. Like, a different color for every bracket, or at least nearly so. Will they do that, or will the nurse want to punch me?
Here is photo of rainbox from earlier in the thread:
viewtopic.php?p=277116&highlight=rainbow#277116

I like it but think it would be too girley for me.
I probably will still do it soon though.

I'm trying to come up with 3-5 color designs which are fabulous and eye catching.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

Ashes90

#876 Post by Ashes90 »

I'm not big on flashy colours like neon green and orange mainly because I'm trying to remain professional for my job and school but I do have a selection more than just black and clear. <-- Which are the colors I have on right now.

My first adjustment, which I'm thinking will be on April Fool's Day (the day I get this expander out), I'm choosing blue and bronze (or the closest colour to bronze... gold, most likely). Ravenclaw's colours! Yes, I'm a Harry Potter fanatic! And proud!

After that, I'll go through all the other House's colours and for one of my best friends' wedding, I'll have orange and white put in. Her theme is orange and white, haha. Otherwise, I don't see myself straying too far beyond Hogwarts' Houses' colours and the black and clear ones.

I'm not boring... just trying to keep my job and then get a better one, haha.

tsmurfenator

#877 Post by tsmurfenator »

Ashes90 wrote:I'm not big on flashy colours like neon green and orange mainly because I'm trying to remain professional for my job and school but I do have a selection more than just black and clear. <-- Which are the colors I have on right now.
Hmm, interesting comment.
I had wondered to myself if having flashy colors was 'unprofessional'.

My current observation is that ultimately since braces are a medical device people are very very hesitant to judge due to political correctness .. I think people can get away with a lot more colors on their braces than their clothes for example (it is more like wearing a flashy tie which is a lot easier than wearing a flashy suit). Also I don't think people really notice the colors per se, although certain colors will make braces as a whole more noticeable. The colors are a detail.

For what it's worth I did receive an amazing new job offer which I accepted while having the fuschia/baby blue ligatures, and they didn't take it away when I changed to green (which I think are less flashy - because at least they are all the same color. But at the same time make braces more prominent).

Ultimately it comes down to whatever folks are personally comfortable and confident in.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

tsmurfenator

#878 Post by tsmurfenator »

I have to admit I was feeling pretty self-conscious in green. They stand out so much.

I switched to orange on top and blue on bottom. I'm very happy with this combination, and orange is a much less conspicuous than I was expecting (maybe because they're close to my tooth color :?). Blue of course is probably the most visible color possible but my bottom teeth don't normally show when I talk/smile. I was going to go the opposite direction, but changed my mind at the last second. There are actually 2 (or 3?) different shades of orange here, not because I was trying to be fabulous, but because my clinic didn't have a full row of one orange, just partially used up surplus sticks.

3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

catgyrl

#879 Post by catgyrl »

I'm a newbie here, and I've literally spent the last 5 hours reading every page of this thread... "ooh-ing" and "aah-ing" every few minutes!

I'm getting braced in 5 days, and had completely made up my mind to get self-litigating ceramics on top and metal on bottom. WAS NOT going to change my mind for any reason. Now that I see all the cool ligs here... and how small some of the metals appear as compared to the ceramics... I do think I'll be calling my ortho tomorrow morning to let him know I want FULL METAL, baby!!

Do you think it's too late for me to change my mind on that? Do they have to special order the braces for me?

I tell you, for someone who was so self-conscious about how she'd look in braces, I'm now looking at reds, pinks, purples and those beautiful blue shades for my ligs - upper AND lower!

-Cathy

retainerjoe

#880 Post by retainerjoe »

well it's been one week in braces this time around , an i did all dark blue
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

tsmurfenator

#881 Post by tsmurfenator »

catgyrl wrote:I'm getting braced in 5 days, and had completely made up my mind to get self-litigating ceramics on top and metal on bottom. WAS NOT going to change my mind for any reason. Now that I see all the cool ligs here... and how small some of the metals appear as compared to the ceramics... I do think I'll be calling my ortho tomorrow morning to let him know I want FULL METAL, baby!!
@catgyrl - That is so great! Please let us know how it works out.
Being able to play with the colors is one of the funnest parts of having braces, and lets our personality shine through in our treatment. I really hope your dentist agrees and you are able to get the metal ones like you want.

@retainerjoe - where are your photos? :D
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

catgyrl

#882 Post by catgyrl »

tsmurfenator wrote:
catgyrl wrote:I'm getting braced in 5 days, and had completely made up my mind to get self-litigating ceramics on top and metal on bottom. WAS NOT going to change my mind for any reason. Now that I see all the cool ligs here... and how small some of the metals appear as compared to the ceramics... I do think I'll be calling my ortho tomorrow morning to let him know I want FULL METAL, baby!!
@catgyrl - That is so great! Please let us know how it works out.
Being able to play with the colors is one of the funnest parts of having braces, and lets our personality shine through in our treatment. I really hope your dentist agrees and you are able to get the metal ones like you want.
IT'S A GO!! The receptionist could not have been nicer. She said "We will accommodate you with whatever brackets you prefer." I've only called them about 10 times in the past 10 days with various questions, and they have been pleasant and accommodating every time. I agree that this is going to be the "funnest" part of having braces. I'm going to treat them like a piece of (very expensive) permanent jewelry.

Making my "lig list" now... If they thought I was indecisive about what brackets to get... wait until I get to select ligs! :wink:

-Cathy

retainerjoe

#883 Post by retainerjoe »

way to go . i 'll use as many colors as i can , but i realy don't think i'll be doing pink any time soon :pinkbraces:
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

DrBlur

#884 Post by DrBlur »

I want the least obtrusive color ligs possible when I get my braces on next week...which is that? White? Clear?
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

ashesgap

#885 Post by ashesgap »

Actually silver is. It matches the brackets...unless your getting ceramics, then clear or pearl.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!