PREDICT: How much, how long, what kind of treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

boomshakelaka

PREDICT: How much, how long, what kind of treatment?

#1 Post by boomshakelaka »

Hi, I'm completely new to this "braces" thing. My parents have never been able to afford them my entire life. Now I'm 21, have a little $$ saved up, and considering braces for my hideous teeth. Basically my upper jaw's the worst.

I'm seeing a dentist next week for scaling, and I'm going to ask about straightening my teeth.

In the meantime, what do you guys think about my teeth in terms of how LONG, how MUCH and what kind of treatment it requires. Anyone had something similar? **I know doctors can only determine this so I just want to see what you guys think.

Thanks

Ashes90

#2 Post by Ashes90 »

Honestly, I think it really just depends on how severely... "bad"... your teeth are. My treatment (not including jaw surgery or wisdom teeth extractions) is just about $6200. Such a pretty number... :roll:

You should see the number after I include the other stuff. Oi... :x

boomshakelaka

#3 Post by boomshakelaka »

evilnel

#4 Post by evilnel »

Your teeth really don't look bad to me. They're a little crowded but look healthy and your bite looks good. Cost depends on a lot of things, but your case (based on pictures, which aren't the best way to tell) doesn't look like it should take too long. I'd recommend visiting a few orthos to see what they say. The consults are usually free, so just call and set up an appointment.

UGHBRACES

#5 Post by UGHBRACES »

I will guess you will need 4 extractions and be braced for 24 months.

boomshakelaka

#6 Post by boomshakelaka »

2 years................ argh....

tacoma braced

#7 Post by tacoma braced »

I think the standard answer from most orthos is "2 years". Just like my chinese take out will always be ready for pick up in "15 minutes"

They have an idea of typical treatment length, but the variables of adjustment schedules, how long it will take for your teeth to level, rotate and align is the art of ortho treatment.

Plan on 2 years- be excited if less, and expect it might take longer. And I'm much happier, now that I've stopped asking how much longer.

I'll be 50 soon, and am 2 weeks away from my 1 year brace anniversary.
best of luck and go for it!

drrick

#8 Post by drrick »

In your particular case I think the best result will be obtained with a combination on braces AND cosmetic dentistry. You have very small upper lateral incisors and some veneers after braces will give you the nicest final result IMHO.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

smilesunset

#9 Post by smilesunset »

I second Dr Rick's assessment. I have a 'peg' lateral, which appears to be similar to yours (the teeth right next to your big front teeth). My ortho has moved my teeth to leave a space on either side of it for a veneer or bonding. In my experience, orthos will always tell you 18 months treatment. For me, that will be just about exactly accurate.

boomshakelaka

#10 Post by boomshakelaka »

Just went for a cleaning today, asked about braces and here's what she said:

Brackets on the top 6 and bottom 6 front teeths. Would take about a year of treatment, No extractions are needed, $3000 CAD, my small canines would need some crowning after teeth are straightened if i wanted them to look bigger.

Does $3000 sound right? Are dentists always going to be cheaper than if i go see an orthodontist?

Jewles

#11 Post by Jewles »

Dentists will always be cheaper because they dont have the training or experience that orthos have. I would go to an orthontist over a dentist every time.