Cause of Braces Self-consciousness

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tsmurfenator

Cause of Braces Self-consciousness

#1 Post by tsmurfenator »

I recall feeling self-consciousness since I first knew what braces were, which was at age 7. They were something which caused squeamishness inside for years (even the word is difficult for me), and I knew they were something I never wanted to have. it was not until 27 years later that I finally decided to conquer my phobia and get braces.

There is a whole industry dedicated to invisible braces, behind the teeth braces etc. so obviously lots of people are willing to pay to look they don't have braces.

Braces are very unique compared to other corrective/cosmetic procedures because the results take a long time, and you are wearing the device for anybody to see while it's in action. I cannot think of any analog (contrast with breast augmentation surgery for example). It is interesting to look a glasses (the other school nerd accessory) which are interesting because they are widely worn for fashion/vanity but it's all but unheard of for braces to be.

What is about braces that cause self-consciousness:
1. Is it the appearance of the braces themselves?
2. Is it the admitting that something is wrong with your teeth and you need to fix them?
3. Is it problems that accompany them such as eating, talking, etc.?
4. Something else?

I have thought about and I believe that my 27 years of braces self-consciousness was caused mainly by #2.. I didn't want to put out the vibe that I cared about my appearance. Now after having braces I realize how truly ridiculous my feeling was. Having braces has helped me so much over the past three months to overcome this.

Now I have braces I am very judgmental about peoples teeth. Most people have worse teeth than me. I look at people who so obviously need braces but they don't (this includes people with Invisialign if I can't see them). This means that either they don't care about their teeth, or they don't want anybody to think they care. Ostensibly, they are very vain because they have the gall to say, "Oh I was lucky and didn't need braces" but rarely are their teeth really that good. The overall sentiment is much more vain than us who admit we need help in our treatment. Sometimes regular people ask us, "Why did you get braces", but I think the tables should be reversed, and we should be asking the regular people. "Why don't you have braces".

Since orthodontic treatment is widely understood, acccessible, and affordable, should regular people be self-conscious about not putting braces? I think there are certain localized societies where this is true (example, probably most USA middle schools, and certain other populations where there are really a lot of braces), but it is certainly not true over general USA population.

I think people going through braces and realizing that self-consciousness really is not an issue at all can offer a lot of benefit to regular people and perhaps convince some of them to put braces. I believe this would make the world a better place - less bracial tension, all harmonious and happy.
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I don't think people realize how much of a non-issue braces are until AFTER they have them. Anticipation is worse than the actual event, therefore people put off getting braces because of assumed fears. I personally put them off initially because of financial reasons, but afterward b/c I did not want to highlight my already hideous smile with metal. Only now after I have braces do I wish I would have done it sooner.

And I don't think that everyone with crooked or shall we say, less then perfect teeth, should get braces. You should get braces if you want them or if there is a serious medical reason to get them. If you are like my husband and have a few crooked teeth and a crossbite that does not bother you and you are not in the slightest self conscious about it and don't feel the need for braces--more power to you.

Steph in Sac

#3 Post by Steph in Sac »

I can't say I agree with all that you say, but now that I have braces, I notice people's teeth. My main issue is crowding of lower teeth. Once I open the braces conversation, I notice people generally say, "Mine are crowded too." And low and behold, they are. Mine were crowded for about 10 years before I got my braces, so I shouldn't pass judgement on why they don't fix theirs. It is relatively easy to fix most cases though.

evilnel

#4 Post by evilnel »

I agree with TumbleDryLow. I think people who are self-conscious or have a medical reason to get braces should go right ahead. But if somebody's teeth are crowded or their bite is a little off but they are happy with their smile, I don't see why they should spend thousands of dollars to live up to some people's standard of beauty/attractiveness. Confidence is way more attractive than perfection. Some people get their teeth straightened for medical reasons, but face it, a lot of us do it out of vanity or self-consciousness. I won't lie. That's why I got mine! My bite is fine and my tmj problems are only peripherally related to my teeth, but they looked terrible. My sister's teeth aren't perfect. They're nice and big and white and her bite is pretty good, but her teeth are a little crowded--but they're still beautiful and her despite the imperfections. She loves her smile and doesn't mind the "flaws" because they make her who she is. More power to her. I didn't like my teeth, so I did something, but I don't think people who don't should be judged or shamed into disliking something about themselves for no reason than somebody else's view of attractiveness!

Back to the original topic, I was nervous and thought I'd be self conscious because it was (I thought) going to be a big change in my appearance. I'm the type of person who hates people noticing things about my appearance (ugly duckling syndrome, I guess--I was a really awkward kid), so I hated the idea of people saying 'wow, you got braces!' Turns out, not most people did. I wasn't worried about pain or anything, just general awkwardness. And as usual, things we anticipate a lot get cracked up to be much bigger than they are.

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

What a good topic!

I never had an issue with the appearance of my teeth, it wasn't until my dentist told me I should see an ortho for a consultation due to my cross bite and the fact that I could have issues later on.

I agree with #2, having braces (to me) means to the world, there is something wrong with my teeth and I need to fix them.

I will disagree with the statement that braces are affordable. Well, maybe they aren't always affordable. I wasn't able to get them until after I graduated from college and was working full time for a year and a half. My total cost is $7000. I have 16 payments left to make and if I wasn't working full time, had to make a mortgage payment or had kids, there is no way I could afford them. Think about why most people don't have braces as a teen or even younger...money. The situation is different for everyone.

Braces are a luxury and it makes me mad when I see or read about someone not wanting to wear their retainers or complaining about how they want their teeth to go back to how they looked before braces, or overall complaints because their parent's made them get braces.

I also notice everyone's teeth now, how can you not? It is kind of like, if you don't like your nose or you think your eyes are too small or too big, you notice that feature on everyone.

I am so happy and so grateful that I am able to have braces. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

mikesmile

#6 Post by mikesmile »

I think for me, it was reason #1. I was 12 years old when I first found out I needed braces. I freaked when my parents talked to me about the subject, because I did not want to be a metal mouth! Braces were not cool at all back then - not like they are now. Kids with braces got picked on & called names like "tinsel teeth" or "railroad tracks". This ignorant attitude only strengthened the fears I already had that (getting) braces would make me look hideous. Well it turned out that my parents couldn't afford to do it then, anyway. I was spared...or so I thought. Since I really did need braces though, when I reached adulthood I finally dealt with the whole thing on my own terms.
I got metal braces for the first time at age 27. It was an adjustment getting over my early hangups, but once I did, everything was fine. I was self conscious at first, but learned to like myself with braces and realized it was no big deal. When I found out I needed braces again at age 53, I was still nervous (somehow) but adjusted rather quickly. I have problems with my bite that were only getting worse over time. If someone questions why I have braces, I don't mind explaining. I'm so happy to be doing this that I hope that's what comes through when I smile. I say "embrace" your braces.:D

gokix

#7 Post by gokix »

I've always, always wanted braces, even back in high school when my teeth started to get really jacked up. Appearance didn't really matter because a lot of the student body were in braces, so it wasn't like I would have been the only one. But, my parents didn't think that I needed braces, so fast forward and now I'm 24 and in braces. At first, I felt really awkward around my peers, because I didn't know anyone else around my age who had braces, so I guess I'd pick #1. But, I finally found where ya'll were hiding. :lol: But like anything else, I got used to them and it's almost been a year since I've had them, wow! Once the braces treatment is over, the thing left to tackle, is my gummy smile, and I'm hoping to get gum recontouring done for that.

Jethro

#8 Post by Jethro »

I attended a company-sponsored event recently and ran into a former colleague I hadn't seen in 5 years. After we greeted each other, she loudly exclaimed "You have braces just like a little kid!" in a crowd of people. I have to admit I was a little taken aback. This was one of those rare instances where I felt self-conscious about having braces as an adult. Ultimately though, correcting my tmj, crossbite and other issues are far more important than a few inconsiderate comments.

psych braces

#9 Post by psych braces »

I would have to go with #2 but then admit that #1 is a close second because we all have a certain amount of vanity. I do notice people's smiles ALL THE TIME! I can't help but notice great smiles because my is so bad. Perhaps it's geography, or my profession but I am the only person that I know (personally) with bad looking teeth. That being said, the self consciousness aspect is there 24/7. I actually feel like other people notice this as much as I do. My #1 reason for getting braces (not actually braced yet)is that when you look at surveys of what people notice of other people's appearance the #1 answer is "their smile". What do you find attractive...the answer is "a nice smile" (I don't believe this means perfect teeth...just a nice smile). That's why I'm doing it. I know I need to do this for myself, its a quality of life issue-happiness. I know that it will do more for my quality of life than a new car...its also cheaper and will last longer! Having had to deal with this self consciousness all my life allows me to sympathize with all those who have ever been in my situation (wanting but unable to afford a nice smile) and I would never judge.

rolo

#10 Post by rolo »

Jethro, I have to say your colleague really was incredibly rude and tactless! I really can't believe someone would say such a thing, I'm sure most people in the group were far more taken back by the colleagues rudeness than your braces! I have to say I would rather people think "she has braces (like a kid or otherwise)" than "she needs braces".

yo

#11 Post by yo »

Oh Jethro, you lived through my worst nightmare! I'm sorry your co-worker was so thoughtless.

I think for me it was part of #2, I didn't really know how bad my teeth were because I had so much bonding on them I thought they looked good! It wasn't until this last year when they started moving so much that my dentist brought up the subject of braces. I HATED the idea, after all, I had them when I was in my early twenties, why would I go through that again?

I was very nervous about what my coworkers would say about them. But like most everyone else, (except poor Jethro) they didn't say much of anything. I do feel so much better about having braces since I've found you all and we can share the same experiences.

braceface418

#12 Post by braceface418 »

Honestly, I don't think anybody cares that I have braces, and nobody but me and the dentists that I saw as an adult cared about me needing braces. If somebody did care that I had crooked teeth, they never brought it up.

One thing, though:
Since orthodontic treatment is widely understood, accessible, and affordable, should regular people be self-conscious about not putting braces?
Growing up poor (I never saw a dentist until I was well in my teens, and only because my wisdom teeth were causing me pain), there was no way I was going to get the braces that I felt I needed. If by "regular people", you mean the minority of individuals that have disposable income to pay for braces, then maybe they should be self-conscious, although that's not really my decision to make for them. Based on what I've read about people who have to forgo things like root canals, extractions, or having cavities filled because they can't afford to do so, I would argue that some portion of the US population does not fall under what you describe as "normal people". Plus you can find several threads on this board where people ask for help about the cost of braces.

Anyway, if I were to judge somebody for not having braces, that would make me no better than people who would judge me for having braces, not having braces, wearing glasses, etc.

lovelyleo

#13 Post by lovelyleo »

I mostly got brace because I hated the appearance of my teeth and smile. I have always been highly critical of my own apperance and the appearance of others. In general I think I am more crtical as a person. I never judge anyone based on their appearance externally, but there is always a little voice in my head that is judgemental based on first meetings.This is an area that I am working on in my life. I can't necessarily say a person who has a perfect smile has the best smile. God made all of us differently.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

sadface

#14 Post by sadface »

I'm fine with the braces themselves, the only thing i'm self concious about is that there is excess glue on a bunch of my teeth that has stained, so some teeth are half white with some stained bits.

Pretty frustrating as my ortho doesn't want to scrape it off incase it pulls off the bracket and i'm in braces for like.... 12 months minimum.

DrBlur

#15 Post by DrBlur »

I'm cool with braces...everyone I work with knows I'm getting them and they're cool about it (a lot of them had them as teenagers so were telling me their own experiences with them)...so I'm not worried
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12