consultation question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

itsabouttime22

consultation question

#1 Post by itsabouttime22 »

So as I've mentioned in other posts- I went for a consultation with the ortho connected to my dentist's office. I was all set to go with her- but now I think I would like a second opinion.

So.... do I just pick a name out of the phone book and tell them I want to have a consult? I found one that sounds pretty good - but do I need a referral from my dentist? Are they going to be able to give me as accurate a treatment plan as my first ortho who had access to all my records/X-rays? Do I have to bring X-rays to ortho #2?

Sorry if these are stupid questions- I know I could just ask when I call- but I figured I'd go to the experts first :)

Thanks!

fosterp

#2 Post by fosterp »

Well the most common source of reference is your dentist office, and then other people you know. And yeah you can just pick one from the phone book/internet. I like to google search because generally theres reviews online as well.

May be different in your location but for me two orthos wanted to take their own panoramic xrays (my dentist only has the small films on record), and a third one would have taken their own as well but I offered to bring the ones that the other orthos took so they just looked at those.

Ohkae

Re: consultation question

#3 Post by Ohkae »

You can choose any orthodontist you want, no referral is needed. I think they will give you an estimate of the different treatment(s) you can have. You should tell ortho #2 that you have records/x-rays already. They will probably ask ortho #2 for them and create a more accurate estimate.

I was exactly like you. I went to a ortho that my dentist referred then decided I should get a second consultation in case. I called ortho #2 & told them that I had records/x-rays already so they told me to just bring them in during my consultation. During my consultation however, they had already digitally received my records/x-rays from ortho #2 because they use the same system or something like that. This gave the doctor more time to see what different treatments I can get.

I think it's better to have more than one consultation. Both of my orthos told me completely different treatments that the other had.

Hope this helps.

Ohkae

Re: consultation question

#4 Post by Ohkae »

Ohkae wrote:You can choose any orthodontist you want, no referral is needed. I think they will give you an estimate of the different treatment(s) you can have. You should tell ortho #2 that you have records/x-rays already. They will probably ask ortho #2 for them and create a more accurate estimate.
I meant ortho #1. Sorry.

boomshakelaka

#5 Post by boomshakelaka »

just wondering.. how much did you guys have to pay for these consultations, or were they free?

DrBlur

#6 Post by DrBlur »

boomshakelaka wrote:just wondering.. how much did you guys have to pay for these consultations, or were they free?
Mine was $20
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

mom act

AAO

#7 Post by mom act »

A good place to go is the American Association of Orthodontist. They have listed all board certified Ortho by state. Some are diploma members, more of a prestige title but aslong long as they are there they are board certified. That is important since it means they studied it after dental school as a specialty and didn't do just a weekend course. It even tells you were they studied. Then I took those names and did a search to read reviews about them on the web. It gave me a start. I also asked my ortho ( recommended by Dentist) other colluegues he might recommend for a second option and double back on my list to see they were on it. I think the website is Braces.org.
Better to have more consults you will start to feel more informed about your treatment and tell each what you learned from the other. It is about you becoming more informed.
Good luck !